05 Dec 2018
Christmas Term 2018 - Week 12 Sports Report

Christmas Term 2018 - Week 12 Sports Report

Tuesday 27th November : Netball: 1st VII v Maynard School, SMILE ISNC Plate 2nd Round

Canford started strongly against The Maynard School. From the offset, we were accurate with our centre passes and the defensive trio Holly Hazard, Evie Corn and India Still worked together to turn the ball over to Canford’s advantage. Attacking players Polly Yule and Millie Dickens gave great passes into the circle where Charlotte Butt and Lucy Stalker were holding strong and gaining advantage to finish the quarter 19-6 up.

In the second quarter Nia Burley, despite nursing an injured ankle, came on to bolster the defence with changes occurring in the centre court where Millie Dickins was battling bravely with illness. Canford maintained the same level of play throughout the second quarter, only allowing Maynard’s to score 6 goals. The defensive circle worked hard in order to gain back possession and the mid-court worked well to keep the ball flowing, allowing players to reset and to get away from their defenders. A further 15 goals scored saw Canford leading at half time, 34-12. Millie Dickens came back on as centre in the third quarter but the girls took time to settle in this quarter, allowing Maynard School to score a few goals. However, the girls soon picked up the momentum with Holly, Nia and Evie getting plenty of interceptions allowing Canford to control the game, allowing the attack to drive forward to receive the ball. Charlotte and Lucy were aware of each other’s space and continued to work the ball around the circle to extend the lead even further.

With more position rotations seeing India come back on for Evie, Canford were in a comfortable position by the start of the last quarter. Despite the winning margin every single player continued to give everything they had and went for every possible interception, drop ball and made sure they were tight defensively in order to gain the turn over. The final score was 69-30 and we continue through to round 3 in the New Year. (EBL & LER)

Hockey: 1st XI Boys v Peter Symonds College (h)

The boys’ 1st XI embarked on a brand new initiative from England Hockey. The U18 Tier 1 National Schools’ League comprises three leagues of 8 with the top two in each league, plus the two next best placed teams on points average contesting the Quarter Finals and eventual National Championship on a knockout basis thereafter. In line with the need for matches to be spread across two terms, we faced Peter Symonds College in our first league encounter.

A frantic start saw both teams make errors, before good approach work from George Baugniet found Max Wyatt, whose pinpoint backhand cross found Harry Pickard at the far post to finish smartly and give us the lead. PSC, a talented team with a number of club players, turned the game on its head with two goals in three minutes. Some defensive lapses on our part allowed a corner and a counter attack to be converted and give them a 2-1 lead. We hit back before half time, however, Harry Mitchell deflecting in off well worked corner of our own. The second period saw chances for both teams, but a 2-2 draw was a fair result, even though we did have a goal disallowed with the final play, which though was probably correctly ruled out, might have counted on another day. Further league matches follow next term.

Thursday 29th November 2018 Squash v Clayesmore (a )

A comprehensive victory for the Canford squash team, taking a clean sweep to win 8-0

Lacrosse: 2nd Team v Talbot Heath (h)

This is the first time we have had a fixture against Talbot Heath who play lacrosse solely as an afterschool club. It was a close fought game with Talbot Heath taking an early lead but then the defence, lead by Emily Walster as co-captain, firmed up and started communicating more effectively as a unit which kept out the Talbot Heath attack. The seconds’ newly recruited goal keeper, Lizzie Graham, also began to size up to the attack and made some fantastic saves, definitely keeping Canford within range of catching up which they eventually did, winning 5-3. (MXB)

Saturday 1st December Rugby v Downside

Playing away at Downside in early December can always be challenging for Canford 1st XVs. Saturday was no exception, underfoot conditions on their pitch at this time of year always means that we are likely to have to make alterations to the way we manage and control the game. The slippery conditions meant there was going to be a premium on controlling territory and managing the ball speed at the breakdown both in attack and defence. Canford started brightly enough, kicking off with the wind behind in the first half. The first few minutes went according to plan with the boys in royal controlling the possession and pressurising Downside into conceding a penalty which Tom Sykes duly converted into points. From the ensuing restart there were signs that the boys weren’t going to get things all their own way. Downside managed a series of possessions of their own, threatening the Canford line and forcing a series of penalties which they opted to kick to touch and exert more pressure through their driving maul. To add further complications, the boys were struggling to play to the referee’s interpretation at the breakdown both in attack and defence. The penalty count was beginning to mount and emotions were bubbling up.

At half time the score stood at 9-9 but having lacked a little urgency in terms of our early work, whether in support or in organising the next phase, addressing this and focusing on being low and more physical at the breakdown seemed like it would allow us to come home with the win. Unfortunately, Downside had other ideas and their 10 in particular began to have a greater influence controlling the match. As the match began to swing in their favour the penalty count against us also continued to rise, leading to Canford receiving two yellow cards. The game continued to ebb away with us continuing to play into areas where Downside were strong off the 9 and 10 when being more direct through the heart of the rucks and mauling off lineouts might have brought greater rewards.

The boys have continued to stick together throughout this tough set of results which is something they need to do one final time against Bishops on Saturday. They have done well over the course of this term to bounce back and put in good performances after a disappointing one. This weekend is going to require the same resilience in order to finish the season with heads held high. L32-9 (PTS)

Canford 2nds put together another commanding performance in dismantling a weak Downside XV. For once, the boys were physically stronger than the opposition, and imposed themselves from the word go. Nat Todd, with a second successive MOTM performance, touched down within 2 minutes, peeling from the back of the line to drive over from close range, with Harry Moores converting well. From then on Canford scored relatively freely all afternoon – Bugs Mitchell was next to score, Canford turned over Downside and Cam Feist made a strong run up the centre of the park, Will Jones kept the move going and put Bugs through a hole to sprint clear from the 10m line. The next came from the forwards, a driving maul set up a classic ‘popcorn’ series of drives, and the man to dot over was Cory Pepin, one of three very impressive U16s playing with us for the afternoon. Another, Tom Matthews, was next on the scoresheet, following a strong run by the third of the three amigos, Toby Philpot. Tom had a bit of work to do, but showed his pace to outflank 2-3 cover tackles to score in the left corner. 24-0 was the half time score.

Canford coped well with the constant changes of personnel by the coaches to give everyone game time, and produced some magical moments in the second half and score some memorable tries. Toby Philpot collected the kick-off, carried well, and then minutes later was on the receiving end of a delicious offload from Nat Todd, after good handling from Woody Millhouse, Josh Davies and George Bilson. Nat Todd added his second meat pie of the day, from even closer range than his first, after strong runs down the right by Tom Matthews, Gus Jarrold and Giacomo Perin. Sam Downey, filling in on the left wing, touched down unopposed in the corner next, after more good hands from ‘Boff’ Davies and Bilson. Tom Matthews got his brace with a well worked try down the left hand side. Gus ran out of defence down the left, play then went up the middle, only to be switched back to the left where Tom finished off from 40m out showing great pace to beat 3-4 defenders. Gus then got a try of his own down the left again, with simple quick hands from the kick off giving him the space to show his pace and score from the half way line. Downside had the final say in the game, with a consolation try, but by this time, Canford were playing with 13 men to give them a chance (which to their credit they took well!) All in all, a resounding victory with chances well taken. W7-55 (PAJ)

The U15As kicked off to Downside in our second encounter in as many weeks, due to cup and regular season fixtures. Downside managed to put together a number of phases of possession that saw Canford defending hard in the first five minutes, showing the intensity that had been requested. Having won possession, Canford played into the middle of the park with a couple of positive carries, before spinning wide, making use of the width and scoring in the corner through Max Paget. This was then converted by Roman Gill. The first half became a ‘tour de force’ by Canford. Regular positive tackles from Matt Kosgei, Welly Johnson and James Ashurst, counter rucking and jackling through Joel Bibby, Milind Khashu, Ben Ashton and Seb Gallego ensured that Downside didn’t string together phases of play. Canford continued to tie the opposition in and then spin to the width, making use of the space to take a half time lead of 28–0, with another two tries to Max Paget and one to Seb Gallego.

The second half started positively, with a good drive up the right flank, ending just short of the line with a turnover for obstruction. Downside counterattacked and made significant ground, ending up in our 22. But some controlled phases, good hands, some footwork and a physical run from Seb Gallego, put him over the Downside try line for his second. After this the U15s took their foot off the accelerator. They continued to play with intensity, but the play lacked a level of preciseness and discipline, giving away a string of penalties and allowing Downside into the game. The final score was 35-7, with Roman Gill having a terrific day with the boot, walking away with a 100% record. Man of the match, on his debut, was Welly Johnson and special thanks must go to our visiting coach, non-other than Canford and England legend, Ben Gollings. (BIHC)

After a restful exeat weekend the U14As were eager to get back out on the pitch, in search of another win. The start of the match did not go to plan whatsoever with the boys conceding an interception try within the first few minutes (0-7). However, this did not dishearten them at all and they responded very quickly with some excellent phase play, followed by some accurate handling and shear pace from Merlin Cork to finish off in the corner. We were back in it (7-5). From here the boys went from strength to strength with some great build up play to be finished off with some grunt work from the forwards, namely Mark Kosgei and Henry Martin who picked up the plaudits (17-7). The game became a little messy in the final quarter, although the onslaught from the Canford boys was not quite over yet. Janaway found himself with his hands on the ball with support out wide but instead threw an audacious dummy to fool the defence and dot down under the posts. A fantastic performance from the whole team, which highlights even more positives leading in to the final game of the season next Saturday against Bishop Wordsworth’s. W24-7 (RJC & DFL)

The U14B team played very well against Downside. The backs ran some excellent lines and put the Downside defence under pressure whilst making relatively few handling errors, given the conditions. The forwards rucked aggressively and prevented the opposition having any clean ball to play with. Canford scored some excellent team tries in both halves and were comfy winners 37-5

Football: 1st XI Oaks v Sherborne (h) , 2nd XI Acorns v Milton Abbey (a)

As we’re getting to the business end of the league, the Oaks knew they needed a win against Sherborne to have a chance of reclaiming the top spot. Perhaps this pressure explains the nerve-ridden opening passages, in which the Canford chaps went straight into ‘get rid’ mode and invited their counterparts to hold possession and attack.

Fortunately, Sherborne didn’t create any chances during this spell, something which allowed nerves to set and composure to be regained. The Oaks started playing with intelligence, exploiting Sherborne’s high defensive line with a number of clever diagonal passes which enabled speed merchants such as Mattie Effick and Wilf Raby to carve out big openings. One of these led to Wilf being chopped down inside the box – and the ensuing penalty was effectively dispatched. With two further strong calls for penalties within the next ten minutes and a Broady free kick slamming into the crossbar, it was now Sherborne who had lost their cool and were under serious threat. Priding themselves in their team spirit and defensive solidity, the Canford footballers again produced another authoritative defensive performance, with Fruin MacKillop-Hall predominantly having to focus on his distribution and marshalling. Sherborne is a very strong football team but they didn’t manage to create a single big chance, something which clearly is testament to the team’s fortitude.

Going forward, the Oaks continued to apply pressure, but the big chances didn’t quite present themselves…until they created the most exhilarating goal I have seen from a school team. Starting inside our own half, the boys played seven rapid first time passes, with the recipient sprinting at full pelt, until Jamie Lees, the game’s outstanding player and the instigator of the move, applied the final, killer touch. The 2-0 win was fully merited.

Our final league challenge promises to be a tough one, against a Wells Cathedral side that hasn’t lost a single game since their loss to us in the corresponding fixture. With a draw – or, ideally, win – there, Canford’s footballers will lift the trophy. (SV)

The 2nd XI match kicked off with 11 heroic players alongside Frederick Hamilton and Seb Von Schirnding on the bench playing Milton Abbey. Strong tackles were seen within the first few minutes in particular by Max Liddle which added to the tension between the two teams. In the 15th minute Seb and Fredrick Hamilton were brought on to try and break the deadlock. Good opportunities soon followed but the sheep in the field behind the goal were being peppered with shots rather than the goal!

Just before the half time whistle blew Milton Abbey struck with an impressive long shot resulting in the lads walking into half-time 1-0 down. However, the Acorns are not the type to give up easily and a motivational talk by Coach Pearce involving Maslow’s hierarchy of needs gave the lads a buzz and roaring drive returning back from half time. Some substitutions were made to add a new line of attack and a counter attack by Canford led to an opportunity within the box; a clumsy challenge was made and a penalty for Canford awarded. Fredrick Hamilton stepped up to take the penalty and converted, putting the score line at 1-1. Some formation shifts were made as Fergus Taylor (LB) endured an injury from kicking himself in the leg and Seb Von was placed in the LB position, alongside a shift within the midfield. Canford pushed on looking for the winning goal and found it in good build up play with Billy Pocock on the end of it to finish. Canford 2 Milton Abbey 1. With only 10 minutes left the formation was shifted to ultra-defensive by Coach Pearce in which some heroic defending was seen to protect the lead including a clearing bicycle kick by Freddie James (the Acorns captain). Truly spectacular scenes as Milton Abbey tried to push for the equaliser but were rebelled time after time. The final whistle blew as the crowd roared and the Canford lads enjoyed an emotional end to a fantastic season. (SVG)

Hockey v Cranleigh School

Last week the hockey club played against Cranleigh in traditionally one of the most enjoyable block fixtures of the term. This year was no exception, with a number of excellent quality and evenly matched contests producing three wins, five draws and two defeats.

The 1st team kicked things off at home, producing a stellar display of fast paced, passing attacking hockey against a very accomplished Cranleigh side. They opened the scoring, before we hit back immediately through Molly Fairbairn deflecting in at the far post following Martha Taylor’s backhand assist. Both players had just returned from a two day England NAGS camp at Lilleshall, and demonstrated the quality they possess throughout the game. Soon after, we were 2-1 ahead; Sophie Saunders this time the provider with a clever pass to give Molly a tap in. The excellent Imogen Fairweather then smashed in a third from the top of the D following a clever quick restart. However, Cranleigh also posed an attacking threat, and reduced the deficit to 3-2 with a goal before halftime. In the second period, we controlled possession and played fast down the flanks when possible. Passing the ball more effectively too, we extended our lead to 4-2 when Imo grabbed her second of the game with a fine solo effort and lifted finish after a mazy run. Beanie Culley caused havoc on the right, and Lydia Harvey also drove forward effectively on the left hand side, ably supported by Daena Shah. It was a fine win to savour. (MDC)

The 2nd XI faced Cranleigh’s U16As, the coach of whom had such a good grounding in hockey in his youth (Ian Rossiter OC)! This game didn't disappoint either and proved to be the hockey equivalent of a breath-taking firework display. Plenty of support for both teams from the side-lines enhanced the atmosphere and the girls can be proud of their performances. The tempo was high, the quality was consistent and the hockey real end to end nail biting entertainment. The 2-2 result was a relief for both teams and could easily have been a 4-4 game but for some spectacular defence from both sides. The goals were high quality with some clever positioning and finishing from Emily Witter who netted both. With one game to go we are fired up to finish on a high. (RHJH/IW) The 3rd XI played their best game of the season so far versus Cranleigh’s 2nd XI, and it certainly could have gone either way. As one would expect from a talented opposition, they were fast and skilful but we matched them with energy and determination, Sascha Mowat, Ella Mitchell and Maddie Lyles providing a dynamic backbone across the midfield. We used the wide channels successfully to pressurise their D and were unfortunate not to secure an early goal despite concerted attack in an end to end encounter. Cece Rogers once again led by example at the back, with Aggie Cox displaying particular coolness and skill to counter their best player on the left wing. In such a close game it was a genuine disappointment that their goal was scored 15 seconds after the whistle should have been blown for the end of the first half – the Cranleigh umpire did seem a little embarrassed by his decision to keep playing. All in all, it was a sterling performance by the Canford team and one of which the girls should be really proud, despite the 0-1 result. (RMBS) The 4th team faced Cranleigh’s U16Bs and managed to contain their free running for long periods of the game. We gave a fine account of ourselves and could have snatched something from the game, but in the end lost 1-2 in a well matched affair. Well done to all of the squad. (CHJ)

Away from home, the U15A encounter was a great match for both teams; super intense and flowing hockey. We didn’t have a full squad due to injury and the girls knew they needed to work hard, following the result in 2017 which was the hardest match they played. The team started slowly, however in the first 10 minutes but after that we played good hockey, having confidence in ourselves and being stronger than Cranleigh. We missed several opportunities in the D, and had some short corners that we didn’t score, with Cranleigh’s defence doing an excellent job to deny us. However, the goal arrived from a short corner clinically dispatched by Charlotte Brook. In the second half Cranleigh attacked and made it difficult for us, but our defence remained resolute and player-of-the-match Bliss Billson was superb in the goal, making a number of quality saves. However, Cranleigh kept pressing and equalised through a corner of their own. Chances came and went for both sides in a frantic final ten minutes, but the game finished 1-1 with the team very pleased with their efforts. (VPL)

The U15Bs drew 2-2 in another close game; Jessie Shuttleworth and Lottie Speers with the goals. Travelling with an under strength team missing some of our key players, and low on numbers due to illness, we were bracing for a very defensive game. Instead, we showcased the improvement the girls have made over the season, both technically and in their attitude and approach to the match. Coming up against an opposition who hadn’t lost a game, and coming off the back of 12-0 and 9-0 wins, Cranleigh were confident at home. Our girls started well again, going 1-0 up from a well worked field goal. The defence, midfield, and attack all played really well against good opposition, who had a few key players that were definitely strong enough for an U15A side. Cranleigh bounced back with two goals, but a late goal during a scrappy price of play was finished by Lottie to even the scores with a few minutes to play. Lucy Hancock was a standout in defence, with her powerful and accurate slap hits finding space and gaps in Cranleigh’s offensive screen. Her calm manner in the defensive D was much needed, and set the composure for the rest of the team to follow. Also, Big thanks to both Becky Morris for stepping up and playing goalie for the match, and to Tilda Perei for coming up from the C’s at short notice. A very positive game as we approach the end of the season. (TS/CEI)

In the U15C game, initially Cranleigh looked strong with the Canford defence having to work extra hard to force the opposition to make mistakes. Jo Salmon and Amanda Crosscourt were the ultimate duo in the Canford back line; stepping up to the opposition and fighting for every ball. Unfortunately, a little error from the defence allowed Cranleigh to score a short corner and take the lead. Canford didn’t let this stop them, everyone was working as a team to push the ball up high to the attackers where Clara Doubleday netted to draw the scores level at 1-1. During the second half, Cranleigh added extra pressure on to the girls giving them little opportunity to score. However, Canford played the ball around, with the defence and midfield working as a unit to allow the trio of Alice Herbert, Clara and India Rose to have attempts at goal. Some tactical thinking by Clara gave Canford lots of short corners and it wasn’t long before Clara slotted another goal against the opposition. Cranleigh knew they had to step up their game and within the last few minutes of play, they gained a goal, making the end result a satisfying 2-2 draw. Player-of-the-match went to Emily De Veulle. (HXB)

This performance from the U14As has been coming for a few weeks now. For two thirds of this game we played with an impressive fluency, breaking incisively from deep, and carving the Cranleigh defence open time and time again. After eight minutes our practices of the last fortnight all came together - Georgie Boon drove the ball at pace towards the D and fed a beautifully timed ball through to Mia White who swivelled and slammed the ball first time past the onrushing keeper. For most of the opening quarter, every time we crossed the half way line we looked very threatening, and it was only a matter of time before a second goal came. This was a beautifully constructed goal again, with Honoré Cutler very much at the heart of things; she drove powerfully through the right midfield channel breaking from deep and picked out Mia with a perfect pass who needed no second invitation to slap home before half time. Cranleigh were talented, athletic girls, but we made their progress a little too easy with some flat footed and slightly limp tackling in the second period and their CM wobbled through and slipped the ball past Mia Ashby Rudd to halve the deficit. Rattled, we were indebted to Mia AR who had a spell where she repelled everything that Cranleigh fired at her. And now the game turned once again. Mia White completed her hat-trick with another handsome goal, this time some slick inter passing down the left channel ended with Mia through on goal and again she found the corner with a fine pushed finish for a 3-1 lead. We had further chances to extend our advantage and played out the remainder of the game very comfortably, and then quite rightly enjoyed a very fine result. (PDAR/RJCG)

The U14Bs drew 0-0 in a game having played some lovely stuff in an open game they could have won and the mighty 14Cs won another belter, 2-1. All in all, a very enjoyable set of matches against mutually well respected opposition.

Team of the week: 4-3-3
GK: Bliss Billson (15A)

RB: Aggie Cox (3rd XI) CB: Lucy Hancock (15B) CB: Rosie Ireland (15A) LB: CeCe Rogers (3rd XI)

RM: Emily De Veulle (15C) CM: Amelie Kearns (14B) LM: Imogen Fairweather (1st XI)

RF: Molly Fairbairn (1st XI) CF: Mia White (14A) LF: Emily Witter (2nd XI)

Sunday 2nd December : West Schools’ U18 Indoor Hockey Championships (a)

On Sunday 2 December, the U18 boys travelled to Wellington School for the West Regional Finals of the National indoor competition. An early start, we faced King’s Bruton in game one and led twice before drawing 2-2. Harry Mitchell suffered a nasty head and knee injury and was therefore unable to play for the remainder of the day, meaning we lost his creative flair. A point on the board, from there we grew into the tournament. Wins over KES Bath (1-0) and Torquay Grammar (5-0) followed as we kept our fate in our hands. Playing Dean Close in the final group game, we knew avoiding a defeat by four goals would see us progress to the knockout stages, but a win would see us top the group. A tight tactical battle ensued and we had our chances, before losing 1-0. Defending champions Millfield therefore awaited in the semis. Another excellent performance saw us go toe to toe with them, until with only a quarter of the game left they took the lead. We pressed and created some good chances but were unlucky. Millfield doubled their lead late in the game as we gambled in an equaliser. There were plenty of positives from an excellent day’s work, despite missing out on the National Finals in carbon copy fashion of 2017.
The focus now shifts back to the outdoor season, with preparations for the preseason tour of Barcelona in January in full swing. (MDC)

Finally, congratulations to Lancaster Shell pupil Natasha Pettifer who not only secured two silver medals earlier this year at the ITF (International Taekwondo Federation) World Championships in Birmingham but has just recently achieved her 2nd Dan Black Belt.

For all this term’s sports reports please head to www.canfordsports.com

Sporting quote of the week:

“ Failure is constructive feedback that tells you to try a different approach to accomplish what you want. ”

Mark Burley

Director of Sport

Twitter: @CanfordSport

5th December 2018