12 Dec 2018
Christmas Term 2018 - Week 13 Sports Report

Christmas Term 2018 - Week 13 Sports Report

Tuesday 4th December: U16 Hockey v Marlborough College (a) EH National Cup 3rd Round

A high quality R3 National Cup game was settled by a single goal, Marlborough edging it 2-1 in a match that neither side deserved to lose. Ultimately, Marlborough’s U16s were a little more experienced and play together as a squad more regularly than ours and despite a number of good opportunities, we could not find an equaliser and exit the competition earlier than we would like, given the talent pool across the U16 and U15 age groups.

Wednesday 5th December: U15 Rugby v Monmouth School (h) RFU National Vase 3rd Round

The U15As played Monmouth at home on Wednesday, as part of the National Vase competition. The team was given the privilege of playing on Higher Park and rose to the occasion, despite the wet weather, to put together a cracking 60 minutes of rugby. Having kicked off, Monmouth put together a hard first 3-4mins, carrying well, but Canford fronted up, soaked up the pressure and were rewarded for the efforts with a turn over. Canford then managed to put together a string of phases, sadly being undone in the last 5metres by a knock on. Monmouth exited their 22 well and after a number of phases, kicked over the top, chased, recovered and passed to space, putting a man over for their first try. Score 0-5.

The next play of note was a line out to Monmouth on the half way line. Monmouth caught and drove, with a well-executed maul that Canford failed to stop early and which gave Monmouth a 10-15 metre territory gain. While Canford managed to disrupt the follow on play, this was a sign of things to come. The game continued to ebb and flow until a kick over the top was caught on the full by Seb Gallego. He made an excellent run from deep, carving a line through the Monmouth defence and then managed to link up with Max Paget, who pinned his ears back and beat the last of the defence on the outside, scoring on the left. Score 5-5.

In the last minutes before half time, Monmouth put together some positive phases, driving into Canford territory and winning a penalty. They kicked this to touch and had a lineout on our 5 metre line. As expected, Monmouth went to their driving maul and for the fourth time in the half but Canford were unable to do anything to stop a well drilled maul driving across the line to score Monmouth’s second try. The whistle was then sounded for the half, score 5-10 to Monmouth, with the scene set for a bruiser of a second half.

The game was restarted by Monmouth kicking to Canford in exceptionally wet and windy conditions. The ball was caught and driven forward, recycled and given to Ben Ashton, who managed a very positive carry, breaking the first line of Monmouth defence and making significant ground. But when he was brought down, he was isolated and while Canford managed to clear over the ball, a Monmouth player managed to snipe the ball, after it was clear of the ruck, make ground and then spin to space, with Monmouth crossing the Canford line for their third try. Score 5-15. It was now critical for Canford to get the next points.

The next 10 minutes of the game was very even, with an excellent battle raging up front, between the two packs, both vying for dominance and the backs working hard in the wet and slippery conditions. Neither side managed to put together a clinical set of phases until Matt Kosgei ran a hard and straight line that drove deep into the Monmouth defence, sucking in a number of players to deal with the threat. Importantly the Canford support was there and the backs called for quick ball, shifting it through the hands, with Seb Gallego making a scything run and again managing to time his pass to put Max Paget into space and over the line. Score 10-15.

The final 5 minutes saw Monmouth in possession and deep in Canford territory. They seemed to move into another gear, pushed on by the sudden realisation that Canford were still in the game. Canford matched this in defence and despite the lack of possession, were ruthless and dogged in their defensive line, managing to defend the last 5 metres, despite set pieces and phases of play running in Monmouth’s favour. It was a colossal effort, which finally gave way to allow some excellent tight play from Monmouth’s pack over the line on the final whistle. The final score was 10-20. The match was a bruising encounter, with some excellent rugby played by both sides in some horrendous conditions. It was also the first match for some time that the U15s had managed to put together a full 60 minutes performance. They played well and can be proud of their efforts. Man of the match was Seb Gallego, leading from the front as Captain, good under the high ball at the back, excellent in defence and always posing a running threat that was instrumental in Canford’s two tries. (BIHC)

Thursday 6th December: 3rd XV v Bishops Wordsworth’s (h)

The mighty 3rds played their final match of the season against BWS 3rd XV. As has the been the story of the season this term, the thirds team consisted of 7 of the 11 regulars (the other 4 being injured) and a group of other club players who willingly volunteered to help out.

In typical 3rd team fashion, there were some moments of sheer brilliance – open expansive running rugby with the gain line being sublimely cut wide open; only to be followed by what can only be seen to be rugby at its amusing best, with the simplest of errors being made straight on the heels of brilliance.

The game reflected this – with Canford eventually snatching a final victory from the potential jaws of defeat. The final score , 22-19 in favour of Canford, with Fillip Kapinos finally managing to score his much desired first ever rugby try. The match was an epic, played in great spirit and good humour by both sides – a credit to the game.

I thank the regulars who made our games of Gainers and Aussie Rules so enjoyable – and all those who helped us field sides during the course of the season. (PAE)

Saturday 8th December Rowing: Exeter Head Race

For the final race of the Christmas term several Canford crews headed south west to Exeter to race on a canal which connects the city via Countess weir to the estuary towards Exmouth. Canford boys combined in Eights with Westover Bournemouth rowing club and Bryanston School and our girls raced in a quad and double sculls.

The Canford/Bryanston Eight won, beating Exeter by 4 seconds over the 3500m course. The Canford pupils were Rob Way, Simon Jowett, William Galbraith, Hamish Johnson, Max Beaney and cox Tati Reed. The Canford girls’ quad (Kiki Sullivan, Charlotte Wittram, Liv Imms, Grace Hewett.) won beating Exeter ladies by 7 seconds and later in Division 2 the girls split into two double sculls with a win for Kiki Sullivan and Liv Imms.

Other Canford rowers competing were Joe Cox and William Yeatman in double scull, Nathan Bulstrode, Fin Manley, Sam Smith and Oliver Baldwin raced with Westover to make up the other composite eight who were runners up in the competition. (ID)

Lacrosse: Canford v St Swithuns 3/4th

The Canford 1st team played St Swithun's 3rd/4th team in very rainy, wind-swept conditions on a ridge above Winchester last Saturday. The Canford girls were delighted to come away with a 7-4 victory. As lacrosse at St Swithun’s is a core sport and their first team is one of the top 10 teams in the country, Canford were very happy with their win over one of their less strong U19 teams. The Canford girls had the majority of possession but careless passes in front of the St Swithun's goal keep the midfield busy running back up the pitch again to recover the ball. Our defensive wall was strong however and Canford also frustrated their attack with good teamwork and intuitive individual interceptions from the likes of Lara Pilkington and Sydney Brown. In attack Deya Shergill and Catherine Elliot led the scoring. The Canford girls were given a taste of good competition and will now have to set their fitness targets higher as they prepare for more competitive matches next term. Won 7-4

Rugby vs Bishop Wordsworth’s

The 1sts travelled away to a much fancied Bishops for the last game of the season as this iteration of Canford’s 1st XV. The boys started brightly enough although it was Bishops who dominated the possession and territory. Canford were showing their collective tenacity consistently working together to thwart Bishops muscular ball carrying. Not once, twice but on three occasions Bishops crossed the Canford whitewash but failed to come away with any meaningful points. Instead having to settle for 3 points instead of the 7 that their dominance of the game probably deserved. The scoreboard did tick over with our opponents continuing to take shots at goal when the Canford defence gave them nothing else. About 20 minutes into the first half the Canford energy reserves from a constant barrage began to wax and wane, the Bishops players were beginning to find one man tackles in front of them rather than two and they were getting offloads away. The scoreboard now really started to reflect their dominance of the game. The Canford resistance effort wasn’t completely finished but with the lineout struggling in the wind and without the energy to take penalties quickly and exploit the space Bishops were leaving for them they were playing right into Bishops hands.

The second half continued in much the same vein but this time Canford had a strong wind to play into as well. Even when the they did threaten with some possession it was often short lived and Bishops returned the favour with interest, making them start with possession once again deep in their own 22m. The forward pack continued to battle as best they could and the backline were trying to set a target to

go forward from but on this occasion Bishops were simply too strong. The game ended 51-0 in their favour.

We have to say a fond farewell to some tireless work horses for Canford rugby in captain John Ireland, and stalwarts James Norris and Nick Newton up front. Charlie Bartlett has been manful in his efforts at prop since Will Hannah’s knee injury and he showed his strength at the scrum on Saturday putting his opponent under pressure at the set piece to win vital respite. Charlie Ford wasn’t able to show us any of his mercurial attacking ability as he was denied the vital possession, similarly Tom Conibear’s spiky attacks were in short supply this Saturday. For James Martch at the back it must have felt that he was defending more than just fifteen opponents and more than one ball as he was pushed from pillar to post by Bishops ability to boss proceedings and vary their play.

This wasn’t the most shining of performances for the Canford XV, however I shall remember their brave display against Craighouse and their strong spirited comeback against Seaford as the standout performances this season. The boys would do well to remember that the results from this season may smart to look at but by no means define their worth. I appreciate their ability to turn up for each other in the face of adversity and so should they. (PTS)

1st XV 2018 Rugby Awards

Players’ Player of the Year: Freddie Charles

Man of Steel: James Norris

The 2nd XV finished the season on a high, rounding of a strong second half of term with a convincing, if not always comfortable win against Bishop Wordsworth’s. They started with a bang and with two tries in the first 5 minutes, it looked as if we might run away with it. Bugs Mitchell opened the scoring, bursting through the middle to score to the right of the posts, after a strong clearance kick from Josh Davies got Canford good field position. Harry Moores added the extras. Minutes later, we had a chance to kick 3 points, and once again to Mr Doherty’s chagrin, the boys opted to kick for the corner. The chance seemed to have gone when Bishop’s turned over the lineout, only for Will Jones to charge down the clearance, giving Nat Todd an easy pick up for his third score from less than 2m out in succession (talk about being in the right place at the right time).

To their credit, the opposition bounced right back and got on the scoreboard themselves, capitalising on a spilt ball from the kick off, and playing simple one out rugby kept hold of the ball, chipped through, regained the ball at the resulting ruck and found space down in the left corner to score. The game evened up a little more, with Bishop’s forwards raising their game, and both teams traded scores before the half time whistle. First, MOTM Archie Hunter capped a fine performance (both in the scrum and at the breakdown) with a fine individual try. Picking up the ball off the back of a ruck on the right-hand side, just inside the opposition half, he burst through 2-3 tackles to find himself in open space bearing down on the posts inside the 22. Showing good pace, he held off the cover tacklers to score under the posts. Bishops again disrupted our kick off receipt and repeated the tactic of attacking the fringes of the breakdown, keeping the ball and gradually making yards until they drove over. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked.

Kicking off at 19-10, Canford needed to start the 2nd period well, and they duly did, with Bugs Mitchell once again scoring an invaluable try. It was a carbon copy of his first, from a line out Rob Thomas drove up towards the line, before Bugs powered through in the midfield to score under the posts and with Harry Moores converting for his 3rd kick of the game, a 16 point lead felt comfortable. Bishop’s had more possession and territory in the 2nd period and were rewarded with a try midway through the half, catching Canford by surprise by moving it wide and found acres of space to score. However, that was their last threat of the match, and we had the last laugh, with Gus Jarrold, like Bugs, signed off his Canford rugby career with a late contender for try of the season. With everyone expecting a kick to touch, Josh Davies took a quick tap penalty on our 22, and put a brilliant long miss pass out left to Gus, who showed great pace to sprint down the line, pulling away from 2-3 tacklers and the covering full back to dive in to the corner to bring an end to the game and put a deserved gloss on the victory.

A great end to a thoroughly enjoyable season. Well done lads. (PAJ & WMD)

Having been knocked out of the National Cup and into the Plate by Bishop Wordsworth’s in the first round, in October, the U15As were relishing the opportunity for a rematch. The previous game against BWS had been away, with the score (5-26) suggesting that it had been fairly one sided. However, the team had finished the match feeling that they could have won and straight away stated that they were going to beat Bishops at the end of the season. It was therefore critical that the team got off to a positive start, but the initial warm up lacked focus and the team was missing its Captain to illness. However, Ben Ashton stepped up to the plate admirably as Captain, noticing the lethargy early and gripping proceedings in his understated, yet effective style. Canford kicked to Bishops to start proceedings, putting the visitors under considerable pressure and through intensity and organisation, drove Bishops back to their 22 and then won a turn over. The U15s made use of this territory and positive start with a series of big carries, running the phases and putting James Barker over the line for the score.

Canford had caught Bishops on the back foot sleeping and the sudden pressure and score caused visitors to sit up. The game flowed back and forth for the next 20 minutes, with Canford the dominant side, but unable to find a way over the try line. During this time it started to rain and the game became more scrappy, with both sides causing a number of knock-ons and possession shifting back and forth. Canford looked dangerous in the backs and managed to shut down Bishop’s outside centre, who had been their main form of attack in our first encounter, with Joel Bibby and Tommy Jack particularly standing out on this front. The forwards were also having a hard fought battle upfront, with excellent positive tackles from Tom Amy, Matt Kosgei and Ben Ashton and a wonderful steal from Milind Khashu. About 5 minutes before half time, Bishops had managed to gain ground and found themselves in Canford’s 22. As they went through the phases, Canford became disorganised in the defensive line, allowing a hole for Bishops’ prop to break through and score, bringing things level.

The score at half time was 5-5, with momentum in Bishops’ favour. The second half continued much as the middle 20mins of the first. Both teams had opportunities, but couldn’t get points on the board. There were a number of handling errors, which meant that possession switched relatively regularly and the forwards had a tough clash upfront. What was great to see was the drive and effort from the U15s, who in previous matches had gone off the boil as momentum swung and had allowed matches to get away from them. Today this wasn’t the case and it showed a new level of grit and maturity in the side that they managed to keep the pressure on Bishops. With about 8mins to go, Canford were awarded a penalty on the Bishops 22 and sensibly the side realised that this was within Roman Gill’s kicking range. Rather than kick for the corner, they kicked for points, with the ball sailing through the uprights to break the deadlock, putting Canford ahead by 3. It was impressive how Canford managed to control the game for the final phase. They had little of the possession, but calmly worked in defence, staying composed against the pressure from Bishops, who tried to make something happen. The final score was 8-5 to Canford, making up for the loss earlier in the season and showing just how much the team has grown. Man of the match was Ben Ashton, who did a brilliant job, leading from the front, a real talisman for the team to get around

A physical Bishops side were met by a home U15B team who stood tall and together put in their best display of the season defensively. Unfortunately, and the conditions didn’t help here either, Canford kept spilling the ball when they had it and so could not quite get enough phases together to cross the line……certainly deserved to! To have only conceded 4 tries, one of them very unfortunate indeed was a great effort. Man of match was Raffi Mills who led from the front with some fierce tackling.

The U14As were looking to round off an excellent second half of the season, having only been defeated by a strong Sherborne side in the semi-final of the county cup this side of half-term. However, the boys got off to a shaky start through not reacting to the interpretations of the referee in the correct manner and as such, leaked 2 tries in the first half. The first came from a pick and go 5-metres out as a result of sustained pressure from the Bishop’s contingent. While, the second came from an interception ending in Bishop’s dotting down under the posts to leave Canford 14-0 down. As ever, the boys were persistent and stuck to the game plan and structure that we have been developing over the course of the season. This soon paid off when Mark Kosgei got a turnover on the opposition 5 metre line and then proceeded to muscle his way over the line – Berridge added the extras. Soon after this, Feingold used his electric feet to evade the defence, as he has done all season, and managed a break away try from the half-way line. Again, Berridge added the extras leaving the game tied at 14-14. The game went right down to the last play but in the end nothing could separate the two sides. A slightly underwhelming end to an excellent season - a season where the boys have developed massively as rugby players and have created a fantastic team spirit where they play for one another week in, week out.(RJC and DFL)

A fantastic performance by the U14Bs in their last game of the season. The boys played rugby with their heads up and were creative in their decision making. We dominated three out of the four quarters of the match against a tough Bishop’s side. The boys should feel proud of their efforts this season. W7-34 (SJL & WLA)

Hockey v Marlborough College

The final block of the season saw our teams face Marlborough College. Honours were pretty even across the games, with Canford winning 4, drawing 1 and losing 5.

Away from home, the 1st XI were keen to make up for the U16 loss earlier in the week, So, Saturday’s 1st XI match had an added importance for four of the squad who featured in Tuesday, as well the three U6th pupils who were playing their last official game of their school careers; Hannah Cox, Grace Leggett and Lydia Harvey. We started brilliantly, Captain Martha Taylor picking the pocket of an opposition midfielder and sprinting half the length of the field into open space before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the corner for a 1-0 lead and her 18th goal of the season. Marlborough equalised soon after some sloppy defending, but we replied with two more goals, through Sophie Saunders and Molly Fairbairn for a 3-1 half time lead. Marlborough came out fighting in the second period, pulling a goal back, but as has been the case for the entire term, we responded very positively. Sophie grabbed her second and third goals of the game, to take her personal tally to an impressive 28 and we had further chances to extend our lead. The game ended in a fitting 5-2 victory. (MDC)

1st XI 2018 Hockey Awards:

Players’ Player of the Year: Beanie Culley

Player of the Year: Abby Rowsell

Having lost 2-1, the 2nds can reflect on one of those ‘life lesson’ games. You can give it your all; pepper the goal with shots and still come in second. The energy was up to its usual high standard and the skill level right up there - the girls can be proud of themselves and an outstanding season overall! (RHJH)

The 3rds won a tight match 1-0 whilst the 4ths lost 2-0.

The 15As produced a great performance; storming to a 5-0 victory. Tabby Fuery was drafted in last minute as a makeshift GK, and she did a marvellous job, as did the defence in front of her. This caps an excellent season when a small squad has adapted to injuries and illness very well and pulled together to produce a number of fine results.

At home, the U15Bs played a magnificent game against Marlborough. The two teams were closely matched and the game was exciting with each side looking threatening in attack one minute and having to defend with all their might the next. We had talked before the game about the need to look for clever ways out of a tricky situation, and indeed the girls played a slightly more “professional” game than previously, looking for feet when hemmed in by defenders. As they gained in confidence, the girls started to attack with more freedom, and were soon creating lovely chances down both wings. Though we went a goal down 10 minutes into the first half, we remained strong, looking for chances, and indeed Jessie Shuttleworth took one and converted it with a lovely goal, slotted into the corner leaving the keeper wrong-footed. Both sides created a multitude of chances in the second half, and both had very near misses (Imogen Dunn was both busy and successful in the goal). By the end, however, it looked like we might score again, after creating a number of short corner chances. Sadly, it was not to be, but the girls were really proud of how hard they fought. They’ve made huge progress since the beginning of term. (CEI)

The U15Cs started off with pace, quick passes and stick skills learnt during training, leaving Marlborough chasing after the player and the ball. With lots of energy was on show from the girls, Ellie Stocker and Matilda Perei were running circles around the opposition defence giving Canford plenty of opportunity to score. It didn’t take long before Honor Williams gave Canford the lead. Marlborough knew they needed to pick up their game, and with the Canford defence putting their all on the line, Marlborough equalised to make it 1-1. During the second half, Canford played with lots of energy. Team work was definitely on our side; all of the girls were working hard for themselves and each other. Tilda slotted a second goal straight past the keeper and another goal shortly followed with Honor scoring expertly. The final score was 3-1 to Canford. (HXB)

The U14As had a cracking match to finish the term with. Fine margins indeed – if we had found the corner with an overtime PC we would have secured a deserved draw, but sadly the term ended with the narrowest of defeats. The first half was Canford’s: we moved the ball around the midfield with precision and carved Marlborough open time and time again. We didn’t quite have the extra gear to turn the half openings around the 22 into circle penetrations. In the second half Marlborough stepped up a gear: they started running the ball through midfield, and we took a step back. Their opening goal was unfortunate; Mia Ashby-Rudd, who has been so outstanding al term was undone by a shot she would save 99 times in a 100. Marlborough’s tails were up, and as we adjusted to a couple of injuries and a reshuffle, they scored a good second. We then saw the fighting spirit of the side come to the surface. Emily Vance, who has been getting more and more confident in the right midfield channel drove a second phase ball into the D and fired across the keeper, who under intense pressure from the Canford forwards could only divert the ball into her own goal. Marlborough’s greater numbers I felt were evident in this game – with eighty or so girls in Year 9 they had deeper reserves of strong athletic girls: by the last quarter we were looking tired. It was nice to be able to puncture the disappointment at the end by reminding them that we have Holland to look forward to, when hopefully we can play with the sun on our backs again. They have been a super group to work with. Competitive when they needed to be, fun loving whenever the chance arose. Honoré has led the pack superbly both in her on field performances and her organised, committed style off the pitch. Ultimately, the Shell year is about building a platform for the years to come, and that I feel we/they have done very well. (PDAR)

There was an end to end match to finish the season for the U14Bs. Annoyingly the match was super short as Marlborough had to shoot back for a Christmas concert but that meant the team had to start with all guns blazing. Daisy Brown had a storming match as did Sarah Norris in defence, whilst Izzy Dickinson made some fine runs in attack, but we couldn’t break the deadlock in a 0-0 draw. Well done to Phoebe Boardman and Jemima Carrell who were voted Players of the Match. I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with this group of girls and sad that the season has come to an end. Well done to Izzy for pointing out that we get to do it all again in Holland... yippee! (NXW)

The U14Cs had a tough final fixture against a strong Marlborough side and lost out 4-1. Everyone tried their hardest, as they have done throughout the term. (BS)

Sunday 9th December

On Sunday, the U16 boys travelled to Wellington School for the West Regional Indoor Finals. Wins over South Dartmoor (3-2) and Taunton (1-0) preceded a narrow 2-1 defeat to Millfield and 0-0 draw with Prior Park, which enabled us to reach the semi finals. Here we gave a fine account of ourselves but lost 3-0 against a very accomplished side. (MDC)

Team of the week: 4-3-3
GK: Hannah Cox (1st XI)

RB: Katie Ashcroft (1st XI) CB: Daisy Brown (U14B) CB: Will Whitmore (U16 Boys) LB: Daena Shah (U16s)

RM: Alicia Hudson (U16s) CM: Martha Taylor (1st XI) LM: India Still (1st XI)

RF: Jemima Carrell (U14B) CF: Sophie Saunders (1st XI) LF: Honor Williams (U15C)

Tuesday 11th December: Hockey: U18 v Wells Cathedral School, Round 3 EH National Plate

Well done to the U18 1st XI Girls who progressed to the last 16 of the Tier 2 National Plate competition with a professional and hard fought 3-0 victory over Well’s Cathedral. India Still was excellent in midfield and Sophie Saunders opened the scoring with a trademark flick, before Martha Taylor added two more, including an outrageous strike on the backhand which flew into the top corner... simply unstoppable! We look forward to continuing our cup run after Christmas. (MDC)

Football: Dorset Schools FA U18 County Cup v Twynham School (h)

In the last game of the season we were up against the toughest opponent so far. Forget Wellington, forget Stockport, Twynham was the strongest team we have faced this season with plenty of players playing regular club football. They started very quickly and scored within 2 minutes and we were struggling to cope with their pace, strength and skill. However, as we have done throughout the season, we continued to battle hard and gradually started to settle in to our normal shape. Towards the end of the first half, we were starting to create half-chances whilst shutting out their attacks.

We were deservedly level when Mattie Effick pounced on their goalkeeper's mistake, from which point we started to look the better side. We matched their play and managed to maintain it throughout. Twynham went 2-1 up after a set-piece which fell kindly for them, after which we gave it everything and came ever so close to taking the match to extra time when Zac Organ hit the cross bar with a minute to go with a wonderful header. However, it just wasn't to be.

Although we have ended the season with a defeat, the boys can be really proud of their performances and this narrow loss it is a real testimony of how far this group of boys have come this year. (OSL)

Well done to the golf team of Giacomo Perin, Josh Brook and Morgan Taylor who defeated Wellington School 3-0 to go through to the ISGA final in the New Year.

Finally, good luck to those pupils with representative squad training sessions over the holidays as well as those competing individually or for their clubs. This weekend Shell pupil Robbie Hemmings competes at the Short Course swimming winter National championships in Sheffield in four events and I wish him the very best with that.

Sporting quote of the week:

“ Sometimes it is good to be in uncomfortable situations because it is in finding our way out of such difficulties that we learn valuable lessons”

Mark Burley

Director of Sport

Twitter: @CanfordSport

12th December 2018