17 Mar 2019
Easter Term 2019 - Week 9 Sports Report

Easter Term 2019 - Week 9 Sports Report
Tuesday 5th March 1st XI Hockey v Sir William Borlase School, Marlow: EH Tier 1 SW Schools League

The 1st XI had an excellent week, picking up #sixpointsoutofsix in their Tier 1 League campaign. Also on Tuesday, we travelled to Sir William Borlase; a tough opponent who had given everyone in the league a closely fought game thus far. We started strongly and dominated possession, but despite numerous circle entries didn’t create many clear cut openings. Still, Jack Sherborne reacted fastest in the D to volley us into the lead before half time. After the break, we switched off for the first time in the match, and Borlase won a penalty corner. From this, they were awarded a penalty stroke for a foot on the line, which they converted to draw the score level at 1-1. We then had our own chance from the spot, but George Baugniet’s effort was expertly saved by their keeper. In an inspired showing, he was repelling everything we threw at him, making quality save after quality save. Just when it was looking like we were to be thwarted, Will Whitmore and Matt Daubeney combined calmly in our defensive D to quell a Borlase attack and Harry Mitchell was let loose on the left. He fed Richie Steavenson, who smartly beat a defender on the half way line before threading a pass down the line to Harry Pickard. In turn, Pickard showed great awareness to receive on the far baseline and fire a pinpoint cross to Tom Conibear to apply the finish at the far post. It was a classic counter-attack and a goal worthy of winning any game, to give us a deserved 2-1 lead. They went to a kicking back for the final two minutes, and George Robson, a spectator for the most part, made a couple of smart saves in goal to secure the three points.

Hockey: U16A v Sherborne U16A, EH National Schools Tier 1 Cup, 3rd Round

On Tuesday, Canford U16As travelled to Sherborne in round 3 of the National Tier 1 Cup. We were hard pressed from the first play, conceding early on before equalising from an excellent effort from the duo Freddie Pryce and Tom Prest. Sherborne again took the lead from a corner, Canford again equalised with another field goal; Prest on the receiving end before deflecting it into the Sherborne net. Agonisingly, we missed a penalty stroke at the very end of the half, and the second period could have gone either way, with both teams looking threatening. With 15 to go Sherborne went 3-2 ahead from another corner. Canford started to take more risks, and subsequently left themselves exposed at the back and shipped two late goals to exit the competition on a 5-2 defeat. A hard fought game throughout, the pupils left everything on the pitch and should look forward to taking Sherborne on again next year. (JLG)

Thursday 7th March Basketball v Marlborough / BWS (a)

The senior basketball team faced a double header against Marlborough College and Bishop Wordsworth’s away at BWS. The hosts had played Marlborough in their first game and this gave the Marlborough boys a good warm up as they welcomed Canford onto court. In comparison to last week’s win against Sherborne, Marlborough were a different prospect. A twelve man squad allowed a rotation of fresh legs and with some strong shooters matched with a physical presence Marlborough began to open up a gap in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Canford found it tough to generate momentum despite the efforts of Fin Boardman and Michael Ma, both scoring 6 points and James Barker reinforced his strengths as a great rebounder claiming another 6 boards. The final score saw Marlborough take the win 35-27.

With minimal rest Canford were into game 2 against BWS. The full court press approach from the hosts, coupled with their fast break style of play was a definite challenge to the Canford boys who have only really faced a zonal half court drop defence in previous matches. Under this pressure too many turnovers were made, conceding the ball to BWS who shot with far more accuracy than us. Injuries robbed the team of the two key playmakers, Boardman and Ma, but it was great to see Giacomo Perin step up and shoot 9 points. Once again Barker rebounded well, ably supported by Camerons Feist and Powell, but BWS opened up a large deficit as Canford tired and the final score was L40-21. (MSB)

Cross Country

The cross country squad has continued its fine form this term, picking up yet more medals in races over the last week. At the Sherborne Trophy, which takes place in the grounds of Sherborne Castle amongst the deer, both our Intermediate Boys’ team (Jamie Barrington, Felix Tuck, Rupert Peach and Aidan Dure-Smith) and Senior Boys’ team (Josh Davey, Finn Baker, Noah Jonas and Martin Bull) placed second in their respective events. On Thursday, the series of relay races kicked off at Bryanston, and again we put in some impressive performances; our senior and intermediate boys again medalled, with bronze place in both team events. Superb runs from Serena Blake and Jamie Barrington also bagged them individual bronze medals for fastest legs in their respective relay events. (SJG)

Hockey: 4th XI v QE 1st XI

In what was probably the game of the season so far, a combined 3rds and 4ths team faced QE on Thursday. QE took the lead early on from a well converted short corner. Their best players were of a high calibre and it took real team play and some excellent marking from Billy Pocock to bring Canford back into the game. Oli White soon finished a neat move to bring scores level and then Canford went 2-1 up before half time with a goal from Nat Todd. QE came out fighting after half time and equalised and then piled on the pressure and Rob Thomas was outstanding in goal to prevent their progress. A 22 draw was an impressive result against strong opponents. (RMBS)

Squash v Clayesmore School (h)

With a number of debut outings for Canford, this was always going to be a close affair with Clayesmore and what a fantastic match it turned out to be, with four of the matches going to a deciding game! Clayesmore eventually just had the edge, but lots of positives for all the players to take away. There were a number of players to highlight; Oli Banyard, Lucas Montagu-Greene and Henry Hughes all had their first matches for the school and got three big wins. Aous Abdulla and Archie Walsh both put in superb efforts, chasing everything down and came off the court exhausted, but were just pipped to victory 3-2. Canford 4 Clayesmore 6

Saturday 9th March Hockey v Millfield

The 1st XI faced Millfield with the opposition needing to beat us by 5 goals to have a chance of progressing to the knockout stages, Millfield came out of the blocks quickest and took the lead early through a well worked penalty corner. However, after quarter of an hour two bullet Harry Pickard drag flicks had given us the lead and then following a 50m aerial from the impressive George Baugniet, Richie Steavenson ran through and as the ball bounced into the D, he knocked it over the advancing keeper to score the goal of the season. A 3-1 lead was reduced to 3-2 before half time as Millfield refused to roll over. An epic battle continued after the break, as Millfield equalised through another corner. Steavenson was then sin binned and the tide of the game appeared to be turning in our opponent’s favour. However, regaining our composure, we countered well, and in the last ten minutes Pickard completed a hat-trick with another flick that was too quick to deal with to give us a 4-3 advantage and then grabbed his fourth - diving to deflect in after Charlie Peplow had danced through midfield and smashed a shot goalbound. A relentless game ended with a memorable 5-3 Canford win, and a secured our place in the U18 Tier 1 quarter finals with a match to spare. A fantastic team display, with some genuine moments of individual brilliance thrown in. (MDC)

Elsewhere on Saturday, the 2nds also produced a fine display, winning 3-0. Mike Maiden opened the scoring with a deft touch in front of the keeper after a nicely weighted through ball from Max Wyatt. Tom Prest doubled the lead after half time, with a mazy solo run ending with a cheeky reverse stick finish at the keeper’s near post, before Max Kibble jinked his way through before smashing a shot into the corner from the top of the D. There was still time for Freddie Pryce to fire against a post in a game with both teams playing attacking hockey. (RHJH/IW)

There was also a great performance from the 3rd XI with good individuals on the opposition beaten by excellent Canford teamwork. Two goals by Zach Fenwick on the left post were followed by Oli White, Jack Salmon and man of the match, Billy Pocock. Rob Thomas was again outstanding in goal and birthday boy Will Bloxham as solid as a rock at the back. (RMBS)

The 15As were comfortable and won 3-1 in a scrappy game, but the 15Bs played a blinder. Missing some of their familiar faces, due to illness and Ten Tors training, the team was ably supported and Rich Hare who got his first start for the team. We started well, building both possession and pressure, resulting in a goal for Fergus van der Flier after 6 mins. They managed to continue this play, spreading the ball well in attack and setting a really solid press, stopping Millfield building any real territory or gaining possession. Where Millfield did threaten was through their centre half and the opportunity of breaking out on the counter, with their attacking players sitting high. However the defensive duo of Tommy Jack and Ed Martch in the centre of the park were dominant at the back and more than a match for Millfield’s efforts. The half resulted in another two goals from Sam Jefferson and Roman Gill, the latter coming from a short corner. The half time score was 3-0. While the first half had gone well, the team agreed that they could up the tempo and ensure they put the game to bed. They were set the challenge of a big 15 mins at the start of the second half, aiming to get a couple more goals and ensure Millfield didn’t score. The team stepped up superbly with another seven goals through the half going to Fergus van der Flier (3), Roman Gill (3), and Sam Jefferson (1). The final score was 10-0 and an impressive win for the U15Bs. Man of the match went to Roman Gill, for an excellent, dominant performance and his four goals. (BIHC)

With the 14As, it was perhaps a case of what a difference a week makes! In their previous match the boys played a first half of hockey that was a dream. On Saturday we saw a very different side to their game before half time. The pitches at Millfield always take some getting used to - water based surfaces have an extra bounce to them, and we needed an extra touch or two on the ball to bring it under comfortable control, which meant we played with our heads down and got caught in possession all too often. Despite that we created the better of the chances, and with more confidence in front of goal we would have outscored Millfield. The opposition had some large units and we chose a bad time to retreat into our Shells! The first half was disappointingly hesitant, especially in the decision making leading up to Millfield’s first two goals, which on another day we would have dealt with. We also let ourselves down as a group and failed to support each other through some difficult moments. At 0-2 we desperately needed to score the next goal - cue Oscar Berridge with an extraordinary reverse stick strike from the most unlikely of angles which crashed against the inside top of the far post and in. I doubt he will score another one like it as long as he plays! Before we could get the boys in at half time, Millfield restored their two goal cushion. At half time we faced up to the fact that we just hadn’t turned up mentally. As a side we had been almost silent on the pitch, and psychologically as much as anything else had lost the battle. The second half was very much better. We got into our stride, and played the ball around with something like our usual style. All around the pitch we were the better side, and created more openings on goal with some very fluent breaks. We didn’t manage to convert any of these, but we played with so much more confidence, which was an important response to a rather strangled first half and 3-1 defeat. (PDAR/VPL)

The U14Bs played their usual passing game to the perfection against Millfield. The first half was quite hectic as Canford were not using the space to their advantage. In the second half we used the channels much better and when the Millfield players got more tired the space in the middle opened up. Millfield still had a few chances to test Ethan Bikhazi-Green in goal, but found they couldn't get past him. Especially impressive was an outstanding double save with his stick on the ground. While all of that was happening, at the other end of the pitch Merlin Cork couldn't stop scoring goals using various techniques. Canford won 4-0 away from home with all the goals from Captain Cork. (RJCG)

The 14Cs won 8-0. The scorers were Henry Martin and Freddie Miller, both scoring hat-tricks, whilst Jack Robinson and Jack Janaway both netted one each. Alex Geng (goalkeeper) grabbed the best pass of the day for a pitch length clearance to Conor Cherrington in the opposing half, whilst the most improved player was Thomas Luo. The spirit of Canford award went to Felix Synott - drafted in at the last minute to play back to back matches for the Cs and Bs. (HB)

This week sees the 16Bs face QE and the 1st XI complete their league campaign on Wednesday evening at 19.45 versus Marlborough; all support welcome. There follows a new block fixture against Wellington College on Thursday before the exeat.

Team of the week: 3-3-4
GK: Ethan Bikhazi-Green (U14B)

RB: Lachlan Fulton (1st XI) CB: Matt Daubeney (1st XI) LB: Thomas Luo (U14C)

RM: Billy Pocock (3rd XI) CM: George Baugniet (1st XI) LM: Roman Gill (U15B)

RF: Merlin Cork (U14B) CF: Harry Pickard (1st XI) CF: Tom Prest (U16A/2nd XI) LF: Max Kibble (2nd XI)

Netball v Portsmouth GS

The 1st team match was a really physically contested game by both sides. Every loose ball was chased down and passes were taken under pressure. Canford started well, assessing how to get clean ball through a tough defence. Charlotte Butt and Lucy Stalker pulled the defenders away to take some great feeds from our mid court to goal. Whole court defence again was extremely effective with every member on the team getting an interception. Holly Hazzard made countless turnovers from deep, timing her “flys” to perfection. The girls are looking forward to the last two matches of this term, starting with Bryanston on Thursday. POM Holly Hazzard, W51-30

The 2nd team girls were at home to PGS this week. First quarter saw the girls ahead 12-7 and they managed to keep PGS at only 7 goals at the end of the second quarter with Canford finishing on 26. This gave Canford the opportunity to settle during the third quarter and bring on replacements Connie Doxat and Katy Ashcroft, who brought fresh energy to the game with many interceptions and turn overs. The girls continued with their amazing work throughout the fourth quarter which resulted in a 47-18 win. POM - Jess Rees for her amazing shooting and circle work throughout the game! A rare home match for the 3rds saw both home and away teams requiring support from Canford’s U16B team. Imi Parker played valiantly for the opposition as GK for the majority of the match, and Poppy Lloyd once again proved herself invaluable to the Canford 3rds. The match started well, but the PGS team soon got into their stride. Despite the score line suggesting otherwise, it was a close match with some great play from both sides. L9-20 The U16As played exceptionally well against PGS, finishing with a staggering win of 46-16. Alicia Hudson made constant intercepts and created multiple turnovers. Abby Childerley and Talia White stepped in as fantastic substitute shooters and allowed the rest of the team to play as smoothly as usual. An excellent match by the girls and great preparation for Nationals next week!

A difficult game in terms of logistics for the U16Bs: our large squad of 12 were called upon to help out in BOTH 3rds teams - Canford and PGS - as well as our own opposition! This was a great display of nobility and selflessness from the girls in question to allow all the matches to function. All the girls rose to the challenge and showed great sportsmanship that was commented upon by the opposition referee. We started strongly, getting into space and passing flat, short balls and going 8-3 up in the first quarter. We continued to push hard, with a couple of substitutions, in each of the next two quarters pressing our advantage and showing superior ball skills. In the final quarter the girls all took positions that they do not usually play and both Charlotte Glen and Anna Preston managed to score (as did Nadia Lees playing for PGS!). W26-13

The U15As experienced a physical match in windy conditions. The girls played well and kept their composure throughout. The score at the end of the first quarter reflected the tough shooting conditions, 2-1! As we settled into the second quarter Lucy Hancock, Bella Hunter and Charlotte Brook picked up lots of turnovers and Charlotte Brook, Becky Morris and Molly Taylor helped to drive the ball up the court to Flora Lingafelter and Evie Chippendale who moved well in the circle and converted more of their shooting opportunities. We continued to build on this and the final score was 21-10. Well done to Captain Molly Taylor for stepping up (while Rosie Ireland and Alicia Hudson played for the U16s in preparation for Nationals) and keeping morale high throughout. Player of the match was awarded to Flora who stepped in to play GA and had a great game. Coaches’ players were Lucy Hancock for her excellent rebounds and for winning all 50:50 contests and Charlotte Brook for her fantastic marking and turnovers as WD. (LLA)

In very windy conditions Canford U15Bs kept their heads, controlled the ball, kept their passes short and deserved the win. The whole team raised their game, putting into practice moves learnt during the last few weeks delivering the ball quickly and accurately into our D for Millie Keen and Amber Howard to convert. Their play drew compliments from the PGS umpire and a much deserved ‘man of the match’ for Amber Howard. A big well done this week to Alice Hazel, Hattie Kent and Jessie Shuttleworth in defence for giving their best, keeping their netball clean and keeping the PGS score down. A fine result! W25-13

The U15Cs had a good game against PGS and it was a match which got them working together as a real team. We started off slowly however, but soon warmed, not only scoring some goals but more importantly, playing some good netball. A tight game which ended 18-12 to PGS. Our player of the match was Orlagh O’Donnell, which was well deserved.

The U14As had an interesting game against some combined age group teams from PGS. The gale force winds off the sea made the team concentrate on short passes and working the ball into the 'D' with patience. They had a 'blip' in the second quarter, making silly mistakes like obstruction, foul throws and not distributing a pass, but as the match progressed they quickly learnt from their mistakes to eventually take a very comfortable victory. Thank you to Honoré Cutler for captaining the team effectively and well done to Daisy Brown and Esther Browning for receiving the opposition’s Players of the Match. This week's Players’ Player is awarded to Daisy Askew, well done.

The U14Bs had a tremendous run out against PGS U14A team. In the first quarter Canford started strong with Alex Smith and Immy Joll working together in defence to intercept the ball. However, PGS worked hard and managed to take the quarter 3-4. The second quarter Erin Phillips, Charlie Whitmore and Eve Young worked hard on and off the ball in mid court to create space allowing Mia Ashby Rudd and Nia Evans to slot away the shots! Canford managed to keep their cool and lead the first half 8-7. With a few changes Sophia Russell came on at WA to keep the flow of play to Canford, however with a few mistakes made, PGS saw opportunities and managed to get the ball into their shooters making the score 11-13 to PGS. Canford didn’t give up in the final quarter! Every ball that Canford had was taken straight to goal, with everyone on the team working hard for each other. A few mistakes from Canford allowed PGS to take the win 16-17! Man of the Match was Mia Ashby Rudd. The girls did a superb job against the PGS A team and hugely proud of the work rate from each member of the Canford team!!

On Saturday the U14C travelled away to PGS, which incredibly was even windier that Canford. The girls got on court, and lead by this week’s captain Sarah Norris, performed a top class warm up! Before the game started we all agreed that short sharp passes were the way forward and to think about what we had worked on that week in training which included – looking up at the play and not all running in the same space and passing to teammates as they reach the end of their drives. We started really positively with good movement against a very tall side compared! As the quarters went on the game became closer and closer and with the loss or our shooter in the 2nd quarter it became important to take our chances in the circle when we had them but to also keep defending to the best of our ability. In the final quarter PGS turned over several of our centres and scored the first 3 goals. The girls managed to hang on for a 10 – 10 draw, which they should be very proud of! Even more so, as after the game we found out the team we played were in fact PGS U14B team. Player of the match – Yutong Li. For playing three different positions with a very positive attitude and willingness to step up when needed.

Football v Taunton

Saturday was a historic occasion for Canford football: it was the first time we’ve ever fielded three senior teams in a competitive fixture. The packed coach was abuzz with excitement as we set out – and jubilant as we returned with all three teams victorious.

Due to the stretching of the squad with the three teams in action, we had no subs available for the 1st XI and, with our high intensity approach that could have been costly. However, the 11 young men on the pitch played with assurance throughout, totally dominating game play and chances made. Wilf Raiby found himself in a one on one situation within minutes but placed his finish inches wide and Zac Organ missed with a clear header moments later, setting the pattern for the game ahead. On the most agrarian of fields, we were surprised to find ourselves a goal behind after Taunton’s first ‘shot’ on target – a sliced cross – arched in behind a surprised Fruin McKillop-Hall. Heads were held aloft, though, and we were promptly level after Zac converted a Tom Suddards-made penalty. We eased ahead to 3-1 before Fruin had to see another failed delivery fly over him and in. Suddenly, and out of nowhere, it was game on – despite not having allowed Taunton to create any real chances in the first half. The Oaks made sure, early on in the second half, that no nerves would start jangling. Mattie Effick’s lethal throw-ins created havoc in the opposition penalty box and we were swiftly 6-2 up. The boys naturally eased off a little after that, but - despite conceding once towards the end – they had put in a totally dominant display once more and controlled the game to its conclusion. Our final game of the season is now mouth-wateringly near: the always awesome fixture against the Corinthian Casuals. With a team as strong as this, I reckon we can record a first-ever win there too.

The 2nd team set of on a historic trip to Somerset. One equal third of three teams setting out to represent Canford. Despite some last minute withdrawals from the team a starting XI stepped out to represent the school. A frantic opening exchange led to Canford opening the scoring. Following some smart play out wide this was well deserved. An epic 60 minutes followed on what might be the smallest pitch ever seen. Goals were exchanged, Jacob Browning used his face to clear of the line - what a game. Canford returned winners 5 goals to 3

In order to get a full 3rd team out two Fifth Formers, George Vessey and Adam Kwan, stepped up to play on Saturday. We had a fairly poor first half (for our standards) but managed to pick it up in the second half and secured a clean sheet for Sean Sinclair with his man of the match performance. A fantastic goal by Flinn Tiefenthan from outside the box saw the only goal of the match to take a 1-0 win away. 2 nd team

Lacrosse v Bryanston

Bryanston struggled to get a full team on the pitch for this match and so the 10-a-side format (instead of 12) was used. Canford had a hesitant start but were soon testing the Bryanston goalkeeper who did very well as the Canford shots were repeatedly saved. However, once Nory Warner, Ellie Whitworth, Flora Peddie and Serena Chamberlain made more effort on the placement of their shots, we began to find the back of the net with more ease. It was a good match too for Maddie Lyles who played centre for the first time and was very strong. Loveday Pride was also solid in defence. Despite a few fast breaks from Bryanston, Canford had the visiting side well contained throughout the second half - Sophie Hussey, Frances Fleming and Faith White stood their ground and created a strong defence wall. A great team performance. Canford won 13-4 (MXB)

For all this term’s sports reports please head to www.canfordsports.com

Sporting quote of the week:

“ Champions don’t become champions when they win an event but in the hours, weeks, months and years preparing for it .”
Mark Burley

Director of Sport

Twitter: @CanfordSport 1

3th March 2019