23 Mar 2019
Easter Term 2019 - Week 10 Sports Report

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge

Easter Term 2019 - Week 10 Sports Report

With an exeat weekend for the school a large number of fixtures occurred midweek and it was an impressive showing from both the hockey and netball clubs finishing unbeaten against Wellington College and Bryanston respectively. We also had several pupils competing and training on what was a free Saturday for the vast majority of the school. Two of the netball teams were battling hard at a windy National Schools‘ Championships in Hertfordshire, five of the cross country team competed at a very wet and muddy ESAA National Championships in Leeds and there were also national hockey squad sessions for Molly Fairbairn, Martha Taylor and Will Whitmore plus national sailing squad training for Abby Childerley.

The round up from last week starts with the lacrosse 2nd team who went to play their last match of the season against Talbot Heath. With the strong winds suggesting that the match would be more difficult than we first anticipated, we knew we had to make sure all our passes were accurate in order to succeed in scoring goals.

The match started well, with Maddie Lyles’ powerful draws from the centre proving to be essential to the success of our team. With the first goal scored by the opposition, we knew we had to focus on our defensive play and the placement of our players on the pitch. As the match went on, tactical defensive play from Nory Warner, Faith White, Sophie Hussey and Frances Fleming helped us to open up a lead over Talbot Heath. With skilful play from Georgina Litchfield, Thea Ellis and Izzy Woodward, we continued to find the back of the net with more ease as the match went on. With Ellie Whitworth’s placement on the pitch often being the leading factor in the success our team, and the communication between all the girls certainly aiding our goal scoring, we finished the match 10-2 to Canford. Lizzie Graham was a superb goalie, continually saving goals with conviction and proving to be such a vital part of the team.

With this being the last match for our upper sixth, the spirit remained high throughout the match with Alice Kalmanson, Kitty Arnold and Loveday Pride demonstrating their attacking prowess and being great assets to our team. Their presence in the team will be missed by all. (MXB)

The netball block fixture was against close rivals Bryanston and sadly, the weather made some of the courts unplayable leading to a cancellation of some of the scheduled matches. It was a closely contested and physical game for the 1st team match. The first 3 quarters saw us pull away nicely with some beautiful turnovers and conversions to goal and although the girls weren’t at their most fluent they were not really under too much pressure. In the 4th quarter however, Bryanston brought the game back and we allowed 5 un-answered goals against us. We were slow to react and it is fair to say allowed the scrappy nature of the game to affect our performance. Nevertheless, the girls regrouped to secure possession and score some more goals, seeing the game out, with a good win. Onto the last game of the season KES Bath on Saturday. W33-20

It was a short away journey for the Senior 2s this week against Bryanston. Knowing Bryanston had a strong team, we had to put up our best fight and throughout the first quarter, it was goal for goal, eventually ending 8-7 to Bryanston. The second quarter saw many turnovers and interceptions throughout the court especially in the defensive circle, but with the girls driving strong in front of their markers to receive the ball, they gained a half time lead of 16-19. Third quarter saw the girls hold it all together and remain calm by coming away from their defender to secure the ball repeatedly, ending the quarter leading 22-30. The last quarter showed the girls’ determination to hold on to the win and they fought until the very end to finish the game with a close 33-35 win. Player of the match goes to every single one of the girls for being fantastic players and team members for the duration of the game. Well done girls, you are stars!! (EBL)

The wind was blowing a “Hooley” but the U14A team have now had several weeks of practice in these conditions, so had a clear plan in their heads: short sharp passes! Well done to Captain Ruby Anand who ensured the team were fully prepared and warmed up before the start of the match. Tara King and Esther Browning earned the opposition's Player of the Match and this week the team voted Tara King as Players. Player. W50-23 (NXW)

From the first whistle, each of the girls on the U14B team worked hard on and off the ball allowing some great netball to occur. With the girls quickly dominating, plenty of changes and rotation to positions were made, meaning everyone on the team had a great run out and the score ended 34-9 to Canford. (HXB)

Following on from a good week’s training, the U14C team were all ready to play our local rival. Throughout the match, we executed effective set plays, moved the ball down the court and kept battling. Regardless of the score, the girls were hungry to secure the ball and score as many goals as they could. By the third quarter, positions were rotated around to even up the competition, but even then our GK Lara Wilkinson went to GS and had the game of her life, not missing a shot! Overall I was really proud of the all team. Defensively we turned balls over and read the game really well. Mid-court the girls were clearly fitter and stuck to short sharp passes in the windy conditions. Shooters, regardless of the 32mph wind, shot beautifully and the girls should be very proud of how far their netball has improved. Player of the match – Nuala Binnion. W26-4 (EJB)

Last week there featured matches for the hockey club versus Marlborough College, Wellington College and the U14 Tier 1 West Finals. Overall, there were 9 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat; 44 goals scored and 10 conceded. On Wednesday evening, the 1st XI played their final U18 Tier EH 1 league match, hosting Marlborough following the postponement for snow back in January. Having already qualified for the quarterfinal draw after back-to-back wins the previous week, the game provided an opportunity to try some tactical variations and provide players with valuable game time. We started fast; George Baugniet converting a penalty stroke for a 1-0 lead after Harry Pickard’s penalty corner effort was stopped on the line by the body of a Marlborough defender. A carbon copy occurred only minutes later, but this time the resultant and correct advantage should have allowed Lochie Fulton to score from close range, but he somehow screwed his shot wide. Thereafter, we dominated proceedings, utilising space in behind their midfield and back line with some well-placed aerials. Baugniet doubled our advantage from a nicely worked corner and we should have added several more as we racked up 12 penalty corners on the game. However, Marlborough were resolute, and a combination of some last ditch defending and wasteful finishing kept them in the game. They then pulled a goal back near the death with a corner of their own... and the game ended in a 2-1 win, which did not really paint the whole picture. However, a maximum 9 points from our last three league games is a great return, and we look forward to playing Marlborough again this weekend.

The 1st XI followed that with a match only 17 hours later in a new block fixture against Wellington College. Understandable fatigued, we conceded on the break early on, but spent the remainder of the game very much in Wellington’s half. Good approach play from Harry Pickard found Charlie Peplow, who levelled the score at 11 early in the second half, and from then on there was only one team who were going to win it. However, we were off colour with our set pieces; registering zero from 9 efforts, and had countless other chances saved or wasted to finish with an unsatisfying 1-1 draw. That said, the hockey we played in the build-up was electric at times and Tom Conibear was excellent throughout; we just struggled with the final product on this occasion in a game we should have won comfortably. (MDC)

Uncannily, the 2nds produced a replica affair. Much the better side, they trailed 1-0 at half time and then equalised through a trademark Max Wyatt backhand strike. Chances were aplenty, but the dominance was not converted, and the game also finished 1-1. (IW/RHJH)

The 3rds had a disappointing game against Wellington’s 4ths, in that weak opposition provided minimal challenge to a Canford team playing some good hockey. Both halves were cut short, but the score was still a heavily one-sided 15-1 victory. Zach Fenwick scored 11 goals. (RMBS)

The 16As beat Wellington 3rds 1-0, but made hard work of proceedings, Oscar Webb on the scoresheet. (JLG)

The 15As won 5-0. Some accurate passing and thoughtful plays lead to turning a 1-0 lead at halftime into a convincing win. Raffi Mills scored another scorching goal that nearly went through the net. Welly Johnson pounced on two poor clears by the keeper. Max Paget was calm and authoritative in goal, comfortably saving any attempted shots. Well done to Alex Daubeney on his first outing as captain along with some quality and combative defence from Max Chapman. (NRB)

The 15Bs won 9-0 with Roman Gill man-of-the-match. More importantly, after an 8 week wait, the U15Cs finally played another match – no inclement weather or vanishing opponents to thwart them this time. And it was a game worth waiting for, full of drama, controversy and a last-minute winner from hat-trick hero Charlie Mason. At half time, it looked like it would be a regulation victory, with Canford up 2-0 and cruising. The first came after 5 minutes, with a counter attack launched by the ubiquitous Sam Ford and continued by Harry Young, Charlie and James Tazzyman, with Charlie picking up a good position in the box to score. Apart from a couple of hairy moments in our own box, the first half was largely Canford pressure and multiple chances, but it wasn’t until 5 minutes before the interval that Charlie scored again. Sam found Jake Holtby with a great ball, and he fed Charlie for another good finish. After the break, things began to fall apart a little. One minute in, a long ball caught Canford cold, and despite two good saves from Hamish Ryan, Wellington won the short corner. Sadly, no one closed down the receiver leaving him plenty of time to control and put a powerful shot into the corner. Things worsened when Luke Zamoyski-Freitag had a moment of madness and pulled off a shoulder barge that would have been a foul on the rugby pitch! His subsequent amusement at his efforts meant his would be temporary yellow card became a match long suspension, and we were down to 10 men for the remaining 20 minutes. Wellington’s tails were up and started putting on some serious pressure, which told when a Canford 16 was hit straight to their centre forward who made a simple pass to his strike partner for the equaliser. Canford were on the ropes, but Hamish Ryan had another brilliant game, pulling off some outstanding saves to keep us level. In the final few minutes, Canford rallied and won a short corner, which Wellington initially cleared; however, instead of playing on they started putting their masks away and turned their back on the ball that came back into the D for Charlie to complete his hat-trick! Phew – what a game. W3-2 (PAJ)

The 14Bs had a very intense and tight match. Canford played against a very skilled Wellington team. The smart play of the boys managed to get them past the opposition’s defence a few times but the chances were not converted into goals. Luckily, the same was happening at the other end of the pitch with Alex Geng in goal making multiple saves. Early in the second half, a nice one-touch pass from Jack Robinson found Merlin Cork, clear of everyone thanks to his speed, one on one with the keeper. Having made a good initial save, as the keeper got up and tried to clear it, the ball was inadvertently kicked in the goal to leave Canford with a 1-0 win but despite the good fortune of the goal the score was reflective of a great team effort in which everybody played their part. (RJCG). The 14Cs won 3-1, with Tom Ling and Nat Merrell impressing. (HB)

Elsewhere on Thursday, the 14As travelled to Millfield for the U14 Tier 1 West Finals.
Game 1: Dean Close 0 Canford 0. You wouldn’t necessarily pick this as an opening fixture of the day – DC are perennial qualifiers from this tournament, with the advantage of a well-coached prep school set up, and we knew this was going to be a big ask. In the end, it was Canford who looked by far the more cohesive. We outplayed Dean Close in the first half, moving the ball confidently and accurately around the pitch, and pressing Dean Close back throughout the first half. The second half was more even; they had slightly more of the game in its opening stages, but their only chance was a penalty corner that we dealt well with. We had a couple of chances at the death, but a high quality game – I suspect probably one of the best played at any stage during the day – ended 0.0. That was fine: a point form the opening game in a group of three is a good start. Game 2: Canford 2 Marlborough 0. We were quickly back on pitch to play Marlborough. We didn’t replicate our silky best hockey in this game, but were comfortable for the large part. Will Pickard got the vital first goal, latching onto a half chance on his left hand post. This should have led to us controlling and dominating the game, but the gremlins got to us towards the end of the second half, and we were guilty of trying to overplay. We had to diffuse a bit of frustration at half time, not totally successfully as we didn’t really get into our stride until well in to the second half, but we did score a peach of a penalty corner goal to make the game safe. Our zigzag move, which Rupert Hutton and Oscar Berridge have perfected, put Rupert free on the stroke spot and he found the corner for a beautifully constructed second. So, we were safely out of the group as runners up, as Dean Close scored heavily against Marlborough, reinforcing what an accomplished shift we had put in to outplay them in the first game.

QF: Prior Park 3 Canford 1. The wait for the QF was a long one, and the challenge was always going to be to get into our stride quickly in this second phase of the tournament. Prior were skilful, with good elimination skills. We got off though to the worst of starts with Prior converting a PC in the second minute. We had to work a bit from the touchline at keeping heads up – something that with a bit more experience we will have to do less of I think in years to come. To their credit the boys bounced straight back – a PC move broke down, but Elliot Hilton turned the ball in when the half chance presented itself. Prior scored a messy second just before the interval – we should have dealt better with untidy ball in front of goal, and found ourselves 1-2 down at the interval. Again, we had to bridle a few tongues at HT – we weren’t responding well to being behind, and learning to do so is going to be a goal for this group going forward. In the second half, we started playing again – we got back into rhythm, stroked the ball around beautifully and created two or three good chances. One of them really should have been a penalty stroke – Will Pickard was scythed as he was about to put the ball into an empty net, and I’m still trying to work out how the umpire saw it as only a penalty corner. That chance came and went, and as we pushed for the equaliser withdrawing defenders for attackers, Prior broke and scored a third against a depleted defence. I was disappointed not to progress further: I didn’t see anyone playing hockey that was better than Canford’s, and I don’t think a Quarter Final exit did the boys justice. However, the margins are narrow. As we have commented on before, we lack an experienced goal-scorer – a razor sharp eye in front of goal today would have seen us progress I’m sure. That will come in the years ahead – as a foundation, formative experience this was a very good day for the boys. They continue to play some of the best, and most natural hockey I have seen form an Under 14 side in several years. They will be back at the Wests (or its equivalent) in years to come I am sure, all the better equipped for having this experience under their belts. (PDAR/VPL)

This week sees the final block fixtures of the term, with a full house of 12 matches versus Marlborough College. The 1st XI also look forward to preparing for their U18 National Schools’ Tier 1 quarter final clash, away at Whitgift on 26th March.

Composite team of the week (3-4-3):
GK: Alex Geng (U14C)

RB: Charlie Peplow (1st XI) CB: Matt Daubeney (1st XI) CB: Rupert Hutton (U14A)

RM: Nat Merrell (U14C) CM: Raffi Mills (U15A) CM: George Baugniet (1st XI) LM: Louis Potts (U14B)

RF: Zach Fenwick (3rd XI) CF: Tom Conibear (1st XI) LF: Charlie Mason (U15C)

The first ever U16 basketball match for Canford took place away against Bournemouth Collegiate School last Thursday. The team were led by the impressive Michael Ma, a mainstay of the senior team even as a fifth former, and he didn’t fail to deliver. A “double-double” of 15 points and 12 rebound laid the foundation and Tommy Qian, who also bagged a “DD” with 12 points and 14 rebounds, superbly supported Michael. There were important cameos from Lucas Au claiming 6 “boards” and 6 points and Edwin He chipping in with a couple of key assists and points. Fourth formers Henry Bailey and Jake McAllister also made vital contributions as the teams secured a close fought victory 35-30.

On a rather windy day, the 1st XI football team was made to defend deep with the wind a twelfth opposition member in the first half. Our ability to shut down space and be compact in shape meant that Sherborne didn’t muster a single shot on target, though, and when the opportunity came for us – as it always does – the rapid and amazingly altruistic Tom Suddards saw to it that we took it. Outpacing two defenders before rounding a third he only had the keeper to beat when he rolled a peach of a pass to Wilf Raby to slot it in.

The second half was a very different beast, with our combative midfield seizing control and the Oaks playing the better football. Harry Moores scored an absolute screamer – hammering the ball into the top corner, before we made sure towards the very end. It might not have been the boys in blue’s best performance, but their defensive resilience – nay fortitude – paired with their ability to cut to the thrust when countering saw them comfortable winners in the end. The Oaks righted the only blemish on this term’s fixture list – a 2-1 loss in January - by beating Sherborne 3-0.

Amidst blustery condition the Schools’ Head of the river went ahead last Friday, albeit without the fours. The VIII’s rowed the full course from Mortlake to Putney and our First VIII: Robert Way, Simon Jowett, Nat Cranton, Olly Scudds, Hamish Johnson. Tom Dodd, George Vaughan, Max Beaney, coxed by George Farthing went through Chiswick bridge at the start and had a good rhythm, continuing this for most of the course in the difficult conditions. Hammersmith was packed with spectators and Canford still on a good rate and steering well on the Championship course had five minutes remaining. Our boys lost some cohesion in their rhythm but finished strongly. (18:14.8). Only 43 seconds separated Canford from the winning Monmouth School in the 1st VIII’s division. (17:32.2)

The Second VIII of Matthew Butterfield, Sean Herrington, Rory Jones, Rory Johnson, William Galbraith, Rory Thomas, Joe Nalbantoglu, Nathan Bulstrode, coxed by Tati Reed had a great race. Tati steered for the first time on the Tideway course and our boys finished 12th(18:58.2). For some Canfordians this was their first Schools’Head and it was certainly a daunting experience but as one would expect they all acquitted themselves admirably. (ID)

On Saturday the U14 & U16As competed in the England Netball National Schools’ Finals. They played 8 matches against some of the best netballers of their age in the country. The U16 girls came up against previous National’s rivals, and this year’s ultimate U16 champions, Parrenthorn in the first round. They ultimately lost 12-9 after coming back to win the second half. Second match was a close victory against Maiden Erlegh School by7-6. RGS Newcastle was the next match and the girls played extremely well to obtain a 7-7 draw against strong opponents. The last game before lunch was unfortunately a 10-7 loss versus Benenden who just managed to run away with it towards the end. After a bit of regrouping and refuelling, the girls came running out of the gates to secure a 12-5 win against traditional northern powerhouse Grammar School at Leeds. King’s School Worcester pushed the girls to their limits in the next pool game managing a 14-10 victory14-10, the largest winning margin any team managed to score against us. Northampton HS provided the girls with a 10-5 win in the penultimate match before unfortunately losing to Bedford Girls School 7-5 in an extremely hard fought final game.

The girls’ efforts led to placing 5th overall in the pool but they did not come away empty-handed as they were awarded the Endeavour Trophy, an award given to the team with the best attitude and court presence amongst all age groups on the day as voted by the tournament umpires. This is an award that the girls should be extremely proud of receiving and reflects the importance of not just being excellent sportswomen but excellent people too. (DGM)

It’s a mark of their progress that the U14 team who finished runner-up at the county tournament back in October went on to play some brilliant netball against some very tough opposition. Game 1 saw the girls struggle to get themselves on court in time due to the large crowds of spectators and this may well have impacted upon their start, going down 12-7 to Wirral. A much better performance in game 2 saw the girls go down narrowly 11-10 to St Helen’s & St Catherine’s game 3 led to a comfortable 149 win against RGS Newcastle. This was followed by a 10-10 draw with Godolphin & Latymer and another draw against Grammar School Leeds. It was back to winning ways in the next two games, 8-6 against RGS Worcester and 11-6 versus Priory Academy. Fatigue got the better of the girls in the final game against FitzWimarc School going down 11-6 but I am extremely proud of the entire squad for stepping up and playing their part. Each wore a smile on their face throughout the whole day and the team ethos was exceptional. (NXW)

The English Schools Athletics Association Cross Country Championships is one of the biggest single sporting events of the year for school sport and has proven to be a showcase for future Olympic and World Championship distance runners. This year the race took place on a hilly and muddy course in Leeds and Canford provided five members of the 48 strong Dorset Schools team – a record number of representatives for the school. All five runners: Jamie Barrington, Jackson Kennett, Ines Mitchell, Charlie Bird and Josh Davey were racing against over 300 competitors in their respective races, reflecting the significant strength in depth across the country but special mention to Charlie for finishing in the top half in the senior boys race.

Five crews from the Boat Club headed to the Olympic lake in Windsor on Monday to take on the rest of the nation at the Scullery Head. The race was set over two 1800m pieces. The course started at the finish end of the course racing up for the first leg, before turning and returning down the lake for the second leg. Conditions were tough with a strong headwind to row into for the first leg up the lake. The senior girls took to the water first, with two quads competing. Imi Gallego, Grace Hewett, Lucy King and Tessa Marley recorded the faster total time of our two crews, taking 18th place overall having overtaken Surbiton in their first leg racing into the unforgiving head wind. Rachel Ko, Liv Imms, Charlotte Wittram and Kiki Sullivan came in 16 seconds behind them in 23rd place of 36 crews.

The Fourth Formers raced in the late morning. One girls’ crew of Joanna Way, Buzz Borneman, India Herrington, Scarlet Raymond and cox Louisa Borneman took on 66 other crews. A valiant effort from the girls in deteriorating conditions from earlier in the morning, let alone considering the fact the race totalled over 2000m longer than anything they have raced before. The girls finished in 65th place, and even though it was not a result they would have wanted, all were rightly proud of their efforts, having had the chance to race on the Olympic course. The same can be said of our 4th form boys who in turn took on 69 other crews – a very competitive year group. The faster of our two J15 boys’ crews was that of Jackson Kennett, Archie Gardiner, Ben Shaw, Tim Downing and cox Tom Peacock who came in at 56th place. The crew of Beau Gater, Charles Allen, Eddie Bloxham, Louis McHamish and cox William Oliver came in 90 seconds later in 67th place.

A great day out for some of our younger rowers to experience the grand stage of an Olympic lake with the rest of the nation. Results aside, the enjoyment and sense of achievement for these young rowers was immense and encouraging for future events. Our Senior girls held themselves extremely well in their first race of the year, giving us lots to be excited about as we approach the Italy training camp. There is still a chance to get some more racing in before the end of term as we head to Exeter this coming Saturday.

Sporting quote of the week:

“It is not all about talent. It’s about dependability, consistency, being coachable, and understanding what you need to do to improve”

Mark Burley - Director of Sport Twitter: @CanfordSport 21st March 2019