08 Oct 2019
Christmas Term 2019 - Sports Report, Week 5

Christmas Term 2019 - Sports Report, Week 5

Tuesday 1st October Hockey: 1st XI v Clifton College, EH Tier 1 U18 Schools Competition

Following our first league win away at King’s Taunton, the first 1st XI home game of the campaign went very much to plan. We created plenty of chances throughout the contest, and though we only had one goal to show for our dominance in the first half, we had won eight penalty corners and been a little wasteful in first of goal. However, a three goal scoring spree in a fraction over a fantastic four minute frenzy saw us race into a 4-0 advantage. Everyone played their part in a very accomplished display. Sophie Saunders netted twice, whilst Molly Fairbairn scored the pick of the bunch following great work to regain possession from Jess Rees and India Still, before Beanie Culley fed her the ball for a deft deflection past the keeper. Martha Taylor also got in on the act, before Izzy Woodward scored with the last play of the game following a lovely exchange of passes on the edge of the D to cap a fine 5-0 win and three valuable points.

Wednesday 2nd & Thursday 3rd October West of England Golf Champions. Beat Sherborne in the Final.

Canford competed in the 60th year of the West of England Public Schools Golf Championships held at Burnham & Berrow. The format is a team of 5 players playing singles matches off scratch (i.e. no handicap allowance) which means schools have to have great depth in ability.

On the first day, Canford played Monmouth, who like us had a very good girl in their team. Charlotte Brook played in the first match and found it tough against a lower handicapper and succumbed 4 and 2. However the other members of the team fared better, Giacomo Perin and Adam Reid had tough matches but won 2 up and 1 up respectively. Josh Brook and Tom Holtby had easier matches winning comfortably. Final score 4-1.

The next morning saw the team play Blundell’s in the semi-finals. Giacomo went off first and held on to win on the 2nd extra hole, Charlotte lost a closely fought match 2 down but Adam, Josh and Tom won. Josh managed to win on the 13th hole, which was one more than he played the first day! Final score 4-1.

The afternoon final was against Sherborne which gave us a chance to avenge our loss the week before in the HMC Foursomes. Giacomo won another close match 2 up and finished it off in style by holing a massive putt on the last. Charlotte lost another close match. Fortunately the ever reliable Adam and Josh won their matches 5 and 4 and 3 and 2 respectively. And, although the team match was already decided, Tom tried valiantly to turn his match around but lost 1 down. Final score 3-2.

Special mention to Adam, Josh and Giacomo who won all 3 of their matches (Josh having sewn up all of them by at least the 16th hole).

Thanks also to Mr Ronaldson and Kelly Bridges (our PGA professional) for taking the team over the two days.

And finally, after going out of both the National Competitions early this year, it was pleasing that Giacomo and Josh picked up some silverware in their last major competitive game for the school after being such stalwarts of the team for a number of years and going to National Finals twice. (GRS)

Thursday 3rd October Hockey v Bryanston

48 hours after defeating Clifton College the 1st XI produced another commanding showing against a dogged Bryanston side. Though our intensity, energy and communication were not as we would have liked, the girls responded positively to some honest and firm half time words to spark into life in the second period. The result was never in doubt; we were fitter and more skilful all over the pitch - the 5-1 winning margin could have easily been by several goals more. A rewarding week’s work, with ten goals in the bag and the makings of some very pleasing connections on the pitch showing dividends. Saunders (2), Fairbairn (2) and Taylor were again those responsible for applying the finishing touches to some lovely, confident attacking hockey. W5-1 (MDC)

The 2nd XI match was a scrappy game, but really good to see a new combination of players giving their all despite a few carrying the remnants of illness! In the first half we dominated possession and territory but an overcrowded 25 made it hard to make headway. In the second half Bryanston started with fire and we were still guilty of forcing passes and gave away far too much too easily, and Bliss Billson made some excellent clearances as a consequence. However, when the goals came, they were good - really good!! Clear evidence of clinical passing, positioning and finishing; scored by Serena Blake and Gemma Kendall. W2-0 (RHJH/RJCG)

A fantastic performance from the 15As against Bryanston saw a 2-0 win. The girls’ spent a higher percentage of time attacking, with 14 shots on goal, 7 shorts corners and from Bryanston’s 16’s we turned over the ball 15 times. Those stats set the scene for the type of 50 minutes of hockey that the girls produced. Bryanston packed the D and defended well, including an inspired performance from their goal keeper in the second half. We worked the ball around the D the best we could and played some very clever hockey, with lead runs pulling out defenders and ball pace very high to beat the defence getting set and in position. We trialled playing with a wing back system and it was very effective, which ended up pushing Charlie Whitmore, Tara King and Erin Phillips high up the pitch and setting a very aggressive press. The first goal was a team effort, started with a transfer around the back keeping possession, quick fire passes in the D and Varya Darling slotting the ball in. The second decisive goal came from Charlie Whitmore, whose good individual stick skills created space on the top of the D as the ball thundered against the backboard. Good work from the girls. Looking forward to hosting Millfield at Home on the 12th October. W2-0 (EJB/IW)

The 14As start was not what we scripted: Bryanston pushed back, drove the ball down the centre of the pitch, were awarded a very early corner and converted it in the second phase to lead after one minute! To the girls’ credit, they didn’t panic, and kept their shape, stuck to the game plan and played some absolutely delightful hockey going forwards. We quickly discovered that there were weaknesses to exploit once we got the ball out of the central channel, which we started to do with well spotted early passes. A corner saw us opt to move the ball from the castle rather than take on the shot. It was a good call – Ell Mowbray was released in acres of space on the right of the D, and her powerful cross slap shot beat the keeper for a really good equaliser. The first half continued much in the same vein: we soaked up Bryanston’s attacks and countered at pace. In the end, Maya Doubleday forced a rebound past the keeper for a 2.1 lead at half time, but it should have been more. There’s always a concern in Under 14 hockey that a moment of poor concentration will surrender such a slender lead, but to the girls’ credit they bossed the second half in much the same way that they had the first. A disallowed goal (correctly) denied Bella Rose a walk-in third, before two very composed PC routines saw us stretch away to the kind of score that I think reflected our play. Dom Hudson scored them both. There was a lovely rhythm to these set piece routines which bodes well for games to come. W4-1 (PDAR/JDL)

Lacrosse 2nd team v Talbot Heath U16A

This was a great result for the second team as it was the first lacrosse match for the majority of the players who have only been playing since the beginning of term. Every player seemed to improve hugely during the course of the game meaning the last quarter was a much more fluent spectacle than the first. It was however also true for Talbot Heath who had more experienced players but who only get the opportunity to play once a week. Canford scored first and the two sides battled equally hard in the first two quarters where at times it resembled more of a hockey than lacrosse match as players scrambled to pick up the ground balls. By the third quarter however the ball was in the air far more and the number of consecutive passes had greatly improved. Laura Driver and Grace Pickup were strong in the defence while Jessy Fairweather, Zara Macfarlane and Amber Herrington worked hard in the transitional third. We had a number of shots on goal but the Talbot Heath goal keeper was on form and we were unable to match their goals as they pulled ahead. Lily Clarke in the Canford goal was also very impressive and without her numerous saves the score would have been a lot less respectable. Canford have a return match against Talbot Heath in the second half of term where they will hopefully get the chance to show how much they have improved. L1-6 (MXB)

U16A PEDSSA Netball Competition

On Thursday, the U16s took on the Netball PEDSSA tournament with real enthusiasm and determination. The team started off playing Lychett and ultimately won the match 15-6 after a solid 14 minutes of gameplay. Second match was against Queen Elizabeth, Wimborne. Although Canford finished with a win of 11-4, the QE team put up a great fight with pressure being applied on us to successfully convert goals. The next four matches against Ferndown Upper, St Edwards, and the two Purbeck teams saw the team shut down any opportunity for their opponents to score. Results were 17-0, 22-0, 22-0 and 22-0 respectively. Finishing off the day was the final match against Parkstone Grammar. Despite being our toughest opponents, the girls really pulled through and caused multiple turnovers, finishing with an 8-6 win. Player's player of the day was Alicia Hudson! Her work in the defensive third and in working the ball down through the centre was a major part of Canford's success. A big congratulations to all the girls and can't wait to see how they go at the forthcoming county champs.

U15 Rugby v Priestlands Nat West Cup W47-14

The U15s started their National Cup run with a match against Priestlands School. Canford got off to a shaky start, with handling errors and soft turn overs in the first 10mins. Thankfully the team didn’t allow the opposition to score during this period and started to get the game under control, putting passages of play together, with Jack Janaway going over for the first try. This was then converted by Oscar Feingold. Priestlands then came back through an interception by their centre, scoring under the posts. The score 7-7. Canford made the most of the wind and slight slope, kicking well for territory and pinning Priestlands back in their half. They seemed to feel slighted by the style of Priestlands score and came back strong, with tries from Henry Martin, Mark Kosgei and Oscar Feingold by half time, the score 33-7.

Canford got off to a good start in the second half, putting the ball through the hands and working through a good structure. This resulted in Henry Martin’s second try, following good team play. Following this Canford struggled to control territory. With the slope and wind against them, the U15s would quickly be put back in their half, each time they got clear. The Priestlands centre managed another interception inside Canford’s 22, getting a try and a conversion. This was followed by a period of good pressure from Priestland’s attempting to capitalise on their score. Canford withstood this pressure, but struggled to get onto the front foot, only managing to score again in the last minute of play, with Jamie Elviss going over the line and Oscar Feingold converting. Man of the match went to Jimmy Johnson on his debut with the U15s, playing up from the U14s on the wing. Final score 47-14

Real Tennis v Radley

It was great to see our top juniors out for the first match of the year away at Radley. Tom Norman and Tom Williams discovered the game just last year and have made real strides forward. Our top pair of Will Fountain and Albert Blackburn are exciting prospects and playing as juniors at The Hyde and at Petworth courts were able to come out on top in their match together.

All the matches were close and a few points here and there could have turned the tide in Canford’s favour. It will be interesting to see how all the players across both schools develop over the coming months, with the potential for a few friendly rivalries in the years to come. Lost 7-1 (JRAR)

Saturday 5th October 1st Lacrosse Team at the SW Schools’ Lacrosse Rally

This was a very tough tournament for the 1st team as they were up against first teams in the South West who have been playing since the U12s, while we start at U18s. Despite seven losses during the course of the day, the team kept fighting to the end - helped by great encouragement from captain, Emma Crinks, and came away with some very high standards to aspire to. (MXB)

Rugby v BWS

This was simply an exceptional performance from the 1st XV, the quality of which can easily be placed alongside those of the 2016 1st team. Having won the cup match against the same opponents ten days earlier with their best performance as a group. It could have been easy to switch off mentally, happily this was far from the thoughts of the 1st XV. Starting with a gentle breeze at their backs Bishops hit the ground running gaining good territorial advantage to spend time in the Canford half and apply early scoreboard pressure taking 3 points after a series of lineouts and driving mauls. Canford hit straight back from the kick off winning possession and moving the ball wide nice and quickly to Josh Davies who jinked and fended his way past three defenders to dot down in the corner. The following try by Fred Charles was an even longer range effort, after he secured a wayward lineout delivery he set off on a 40m dash to the line bowling any would be defenders out of his way, Tom Sykes duly added the extras. Loose restart play once again allowed Bishops time in the Canford half and after conceding penalties for being over eager in defence, Bishops attempted to lift the pace of the game. The resulting pressure saw them ease in for a converted try and the game was brought back to 2 points. The subsequent restart allowed Canford once more to spend time in the Bishops half and with excellent carrying through the middle there was an opportunity to move the ball wide to George Billson who was brought down shy of the line. Good support meant possession was maintained and allowed Fred Charles to burrow over and bag his brace, once again skipper Sykes extended the lead with his conversion. So with the score at half-time 19-10 to the hosts the game was finely balanced. What happened after the break was anything but, Canford dominated proceedings with ruthlessness not seen on Higher Park since Pat Regan’s team of 2016. This was power, pace ambition and determination personified and after an early Skyes penalty, Billson, Charles (for his hattrick) Van der Flier and Smith all crossed the whitewash leaving a trail of bodies flailing in their wake. Sykes continued to pour on the misery with a good game from the tee. The final try finished by Sammy Smith was spectacular, following strong work on the left wing through Stew Boyd and James Longrigg, Sykes picked out Davies on the right with an exquisite cross field kick, Davies, with the cover screaming across had the brains to stand them up and feed the supporting Smith on the inside to seal the job with a flourish.

The squad as a whole played superbly, while Freddie grabs the headlines with his hattrick everyone brought their ‘A’ game. Josh Davies and Harry Moores switching positions in the back three were excellent Tom Sykes looked like he had so much time on the ball he could have played in a dinner jacket. Centres Boyd and Smith built on their performance from last week with another huge step forward together George Billson marked his first start with a try. This type of showing is built on the work up front. Once again the pack as a whole were outstanding but Joe Nalbantoglu’s tireless work and leg drive to give the boys go forward marks him as man of the match for me ably supported by his tight 8 compatriots.

It’s exciting that the performance levels are still rising, as are the fitness levels and confidence. We now have a fit squad of 20 or so who have all played and contributed excellently to the campaign and things are building nicely indeed. The next test will be a 2 hour coach journey to Taunton. W49-10 (PTS)

Having lost our previous games through leaky defensive mishaps, it was fitting that the 2nd XV secured their first victory of the season through the ruthless exploitation of some major leaks in the Bishops’ midfield.

The first try in a comfortable win came inside the first five minutes. Cam Powell won a lineout ‘against the head’ near the opposition 22, and Woody Millhouse tidied up the tap down, and went on an arching run around their back row and through the centre channel, breaking through several tackles to score under the posts. The 2nd try came a couple of minutes later, with the very impressive Tom Matthews, picking up some scrappy ball in midfield and by running hard broke through and outstripped any would be cover tacklers. Both tries were converted and we 14-0 up with less than 10 minutes on the clock. Despite extending their lead with an Olly Taylor penalty, and being the dominant team, some silly penalties and passive defending allowed Bishop’s to get their try towards the end of the first half.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first, with Canford scoring two long range tries from the gas men in midfield, Tom and Joba. First Tom reacted first to a ball popping out of a scrum won against the head, tearing through the opposition from 50m out, and late in the game, Joba found space on the left and outstripped the cover defence. It was excellent to keep a clean sheet in the 2nd half, but it was slightly disappointing that we did not create more chances to score. Despite dominating possession and territory, we were victims of indiscipline at the breakdown that too often took the pressure off Bishop’s. However, it was an excellent victory secured by some outstanding individual tries. Well done lads. (Rev J and Mr Doherty) W31-7 POTM: Woody Millhouse Special mentions: Tom Matthews, Matt Butterfield, Finch Massam, Joba Agbedejobi

The U16A Colts have been making excellent progress this season but travelling away to play Bishop’s Wordsworth School was always going to be a challenge, not only because they are traditionally strong opposition but because we were 8 players short of a full squad. Great credit should go to Finn Rogers and Sam Thompson for stepping in to the squad this week along with fourth former Henry Martin who stepped into the front row.

The game always looked like being a competition between BWS’ heavyweight pack and our rapier like backline and this proved to be the case. Early attacks from deep saw Canford open up a 12-0 point lead after exhilarating tries from Max Paget and Roman Gill. BWS then built pressure from a series of driving forward runners and crashed over to get their first five pointer, the score was tied up shortly after when they barrelled over from a tap penalty 5m out – Canford’s defence slow to react.

Post half time BWS began to dominate possession with wave after wave of one-out runners crashing through our slightly lightweight defence and a lead of 26-12 was opened up. This lead might have increased by a further 7 points if it wasn’t for an outstanding cover tackle from Joel Bibby tracking back the length of the field. Despite this, the attitude and ambition of the Canford Colts never faltered and they continued to attack from deep showing deft handling skills and great vision. This led to a great try from the impressive Bibby in the right hand corner. BWS added another try but Canford were determined to have the last word and a fine cross kick saw Tommy Jack field the ball and reach out for another score.

The squad will be bolstered by the return of several key players from injury and Pringle Trophy duties this weekend but on its own this won’t lead to a win. Lessons must be learned from all performances and the boys will need a focused week of training before the next match against Taunton School. L33-24 (MSB)

The U15As played Bishops away on Saturday, with a re-organised team, following injuries, illness and Henry Martin making his U16 debut. The new look team took to the field and started the match strongly, with Oscar Feingold cutting through Bishops’ defence and making serious metres before being brought down 15 meters short of the try line. The ball was quickly recycled and spun through quick hands to Ollie Glen who scored in the corner. The score 5-0 after 2 minutes. Canford worked well on the restart, putting the ball through a series of phases, before being lost cheaply and Bishops’ No 8 found a chink in the defence, storming through and only stopping once he had crossed the try line. The U15s quickly put Bishops under pressure from the restart, with Mark Kosgei making a superb tackle on the catcher and Nat Merrell managing a rip to secure possession. But the ball then fell loose and Bishops managed to hack it through and wanted the ball more on the chase, picking up and going over for their second try. Canford replied with some excellent pressure, managing a turn over and a period of significant pressure in the Bishops’ 22, before a run too far without support resulted in a turn over that was popped again to the Bishops’ No 8 who got to the edge and ran the length of the pitch to score his second. The rest of the 1st half followed in similar fashion, with Canford running the phases, but becoming more and more frustrated by an excellent bit of Bishops’ defence. Canford heads went down, struggling to make any yards in attack, running soft lines, with less and less impetus, Bishops managing another score in the process. The score at half time was 5-28, but without a single well worked try from the opposition, instead the scores coming from solid defence and forcing significant pressure on the U15As.

The second half started in a similar fashion with Bishops scoring another two tries in the first ten minutes, one from an interception and the other through a badly handled kick and chase. With the score 5-40, Canford seemed to wake up. They put an excellent passage of defence together that resulted in Bishops being driven back and a turn over. Canford started employing their line out maul to good effect, using it as a platform for Monty Hooker to use his box kick in order to exit our half, relieving the pressure on Oscar Feingold at fly half, who was dogged throughout by ferocious line speed and big tacklers. The U15s managed to turn this play into attack, putting the ball through a number of phases before Oscar Feingold managed to cut through the Bishops defence, noticing a gap at guard. With five minutes to go, Canford received a kick off and went back on the offensive, clearing their lines, recovering the ball and working through the phases, with Jamie Elviss rolling over the line in the last play of the match, securing Canford’s third try.

There was a lot to learn from this game, but the showing from the U15s was not as bad as the score line suggests and the possibility of a re-match at some point in the National Cup would be relished by a team that feels there is unfinished business. Votes for man of the match went to Oscar Feingold, Charlie Hallam and Nat Merrell, but the accolade falls to Mark Kosgei. L17-40 (BIHC & RJC)

The U14A team continued their fine start to the season with a consistent mind set generating a strong defence and a wide, open attack against Bishop Wordsworth’s School.

The beginning of the game was very similar to the ones we played before. A strong start, in which we got to defend a lot but still maintaining territory. It was hard for Bishops to get through our defensive wall, but we still conceded too many penalties conceding the ball and possession. When we finally got our hands on the ball, the team were able to work their way through phases, resulting in spaces appearing and several tries scored.

The second half was just about correcting our running lines and trying to attack the open spaces we hadn’t taken advantage of in the first half. Communication improved allowing the wings to receive quicker ball and they were able to exploit it successfully. The final score of 36-5 was really encouraging reinforcing the team spirit and confidence which has built so far this term. An extra mention goes to Will Fountain who managed to get always close to the ball, and found some weak spots in the opposition to expose them. Also praise must go to James Johnson who worked as an excellent ball carrier, displaying some great footwork and some good offloads. W36-5 (ML)

The U14B team scored early against Bishops but then proceeded to defend as individuals and not come up as a line resulting in a try to equal the scoring. This did spark Canford into playing really well as a team and scoring a number unanswered tries to lead 31-5. This included some excellent running lines, good offloads and recycling of possession. Bishops scored a consolidation try in the last play to leave the final score 31-12 to Canford. The whole squad played really well, leaving some difficult selection decisions for next week. (WLA)

On the day that the English Lions dispatched the Argentinean Pumas at the Rugby World cup, I was hopeful that the U14C would play like tigers against a younger, but far more experienced, team from Bishops Wordsworth. However, with a number of the shell boys no longer playing contact rugby, preparations for the C team’s first full match of the season were further hindered by some last minute injuries to key players and I was relieved to have 15 boys on the pitch for kick off. It was quickly apparent that for many this was their first taste of a full game, and my excitement was short lived as the well drilled Bishop’s team quickly dominated possession and seemed able to score at will. There were some moments of individual excellence, including some strong running from Ranulph Raymond and try scorer Nathaniel Harlowe, but this team won’t win games if they won’t defend. If we can improve our collective efforts to deny the opposition time and space when they have the ball, and harness our inner tiger when tackling, we will be a lot tougher to beat. To echo the words of Yazz and the Plastic Population’s 1988 hit single “The only way is up”. (NHJ)

Football v Clayesmore

The 1st XI Oaks, though brimming with promise, have struggled a little to get into their groove. The Wells game showed that there’s plenty of fight and football in this group but despite that recent draw, much like Man United, we haven’t won since the first game of the season.

The match against Clayesmore wasn’t to prove our Newcastle moment, fortunately. Canford huffed and puffed for a while without luck, but it was evident that our boys were the (vastly) superior team. After about ten spurned sitters, we needed something to calm our frenetic play, and when the first goal eventually came, a stunning strike by Freddie Peters, the nerves settled and we did, going forwards at least, start to show what we could do. Some beautiful combination play, often with Billy Pocock at the heart of it, made for hot knife in butter moments and though our profligacy continued, we quickly found ourselves 4-0 up. Then, being a little too cocky and cavalier, we conceded, and suddenly we had some defending to do. Fortunately, Charlie Berridge, our superstar stand-in goalie, pulled some De Gea stuff, and we stayed well ahead. Realising that we were our own worst enemy at that point, our footballers did something rather wonderful: they started to play again – together and at pace. Within minutes we were 8-1 up and even though the coaches decided to reshuffle to avoid too bad a result for the opposition, we kept crafting chances.

Though a dominant match, it was great to see our captain Doug Rowland back to his best and his cocaptain Mattie Effick’s hat-trick deserves special mention. Still, Freddie Peters was our man of the match, running tirelessly and producing chance after chance for his team mates – and never once complaining when they wasted a gold-plated pass. (SV)

Hockey v Clayesmore

On Saturday, the 16As enjoyed their first official outing of the season, against the Clayesmore 1st XI. A talented and hockey-mad bunch, we soon found our flow and played with authority and composure throughout a one-sided affair. There were some very well crafted goals, involving a number of different players - each one recognising that the sum of their parts is greater and more effective than a collection of individual contributions. This unselfishness and willingness to work as a team demonstrated a great deal of depth and goals from all over, in a sharp and clinical display. We mixed things up in the second period to provide different challenges, and the team responded positively, continuing to play an expansive and energising style of exciting hockey. Flora Lingafelter won the ‘in-game golden stick’, netting 5, whilst Bella Hunter scored 4. Alicia Hudson bagged a brace, Tara King sneaked one in from close range and Molly Taylor crashed in a penalty corner like a rocket, in a 13-0 win. Greater tests undoubtedly lie ahead, but the cohesion and understanding evident can only be a positive aspect as this group begins its National Cup campaign at home to Exeter on 15th October. (MDC/EJB)

The 3rd XI produced a really impressive first half against the Clayesmore 2nd XI, where we passed the ball with control and speed to attack down the wings. Ines Mitchell again displayed an impressive turn of pace on the right and both Jess Shuttleworth and Tabby Fuery benefited, the latter scoring an impressive hat-trick by the half time whistle. Tessa Marley was imperious at the back and without a goalkeeper our defenders did extremely well to keep the opposition down to two goals. A fine win and final result of 62 which bodes well. (RMBS)

The 15Bs faced a decent Clayesmore U15A team, and found it harder to outlet than normal given the increased standard of opposition. However, this provided a good test for the squad as a whole, ensuring they needed to concentrate and work effectively as a unit to stay in the contest. We shipped a few goals, but also found the net through Daisy Askew and Daisy Brown, and can take many positives from a 5-2 defeat. (JRM)

The 15C’s first match of the season against Clayesmore’s 15Bs was hotly anticipated to be a challenging start. From the offset the 15Cs held strong, and after some to-ing and fro-ing, a powerful break from Topsy Holder - supported by Freya Brash (POTM) and Louisa A’barrow (Captain) - saw our first break into the final quarter. Fast forward 12 minutes and some clever attacking play from Clayesmore saw Canford concede. Canford quickly switched into attack mode and earned a short corner dead on the half time whistle. A sharp injection from Hanna Neill was well received and she quickly assisted Yutong Li with Canford’s first goal. The second half started as strongly as the first finished, Tash Pettifer stormed up the pitch with something to prove and quickly scored us our second and final goal of the game, with incredible attacking play to assist from Nuala Binnion. Clayesmore attempted to bring it back to a draw, time and time again, but were denied every time by Goalkeeper Francesca Baillieu. Honourable mentions go to Nuala Binnion, Tash Pettifer, player of the match, Freya Brash and Hanna Neill for scoring and assisting the goals, and to Francesca Baillieu for rising to the occasion and playing spectacularly in a rewarding 2-1 win. (MW/JAW)

A good warm up after a short journey to Clayesmore meant the 14B girls started in a positive and confident mood. However we soon realised that this was going to be a tough test, conceding a couple of short corners after only a couple of minutes. Charlotte Kersey sprinted to the top on numerous occasions to nullify the threat of their corners. After a slow start, we began to keep the ball better, with Daisy Cullinan stretching their defence with some good counter attacking play alongside Lucy Stephenson. Despite this we often left too much space on the edge of our D and the opposition attackers capitalised twice in quick succession to put them 2-0 up going into half time. The second half was full of end to end attacking play from both sides; creating a good spectacle for the travelling parents who continue to provide fantastic support. Both defences held firm until Clayesmore scored from a short corner in the final minutes of the game. Final score 3-0, a valiant effort from the girls against the opposition’s A team. (CK/NXW)

The mighty 14Cs battled hard against a strong Clayesmore B side. The girls never once let their heads drop, despite much of the action happening in our defensive half (so much for all of our short corner attack practice!). Francesca Baillieu in goal was superb (saving at least a dozen shots on goal). Equally impressive with their cool, calm defence were Amelia Spicer and Allegra Gamett-Griggs. The midfield were very impressive - Lara Edsall and Emily Shi stopped a lot coming through and connected some lovely feeds through to the forwards. Chloe Nwankwo showed us her competitive streak but on this occasion could not get us on the score sheet. A squad of 18 on this occasion - all got to play and enjoyed the social side to sport. Great to see all of them going to teas and waving off the opposition. Final score 1-0 loss (really not bad!!) (CDB/BS)

This week sees the 14As in National Cup action as they contest the County round of the competition versus Sherborne and Bryanston. There are also matches against Bournemouth University and a block fixture against Millfield.

For all this term’s sports reports and future fixtures please head to www.canfordsports.com

Images ready to view and download from Canford Media

1st XV v Bishop Wordsworth’s

Shell Carousel Rowing

Sporting quote of the week:

“Winners train. Losers complain.”

Mark Burley

Director of Sport

Twitter: @CanfordSport

9th October 2019