09 Dec 2022
Christmas Term 2022 - Sports Report Week 12

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge

Christmas Term 2022 - Week 12 Sports Report

Rugby v Taunton and Sherborne

U15A v Taunton – National Cup Last 16

Following their win against Millfield in the previous round the U15s were looking forward to a 2nd meeting with Taunton in the last few weeks. The previous game had seen Canford the victors with an 8-5 win, so all were expecting another close game. We were not to be disappointed!

A frenetic first 20 minutes saw the lead change hands. Canford struck first with some good following up of an attempted penalty kick to touch allowing us to take advantage of a loose tap back from Taunton, 5-0. The next two scores went to the Somerset visitors; firstly their winger rounded off an impressive back line move and this was followed swiftly by an interception by their centre in midfield. Both tries were converted and Canford faced a 5-14 deficit. With half time approaching Canford took control of both the game and field position spending time deep in the Taunton half. This pressure led to two very similar tries by Freddie Jackson with him twice tapping 5m out and using both agility and power to dive over. Both scores were converted by skipper Ralph Boldt to finish the half with Canford ahead by 19-14.

With 30 minutes between both sides and a national quarter final place they continued to play some excellent rugby as the 2nd half got underway. Taunton tried to get their elusive outside backs in the game and Canford looked to both repel those attacks and use their maul and power runners. The next score came from the boot with Boldt sending over a penalty after a period of pressure, coach Mr Bibby fully behind that decision, which gave the home team a two score lead. That would prove an important decision later in the day. Taunton hit back quickly with a fine break made up the middle and finished off the try out wide as Canford scrambled to get back in position. The 8 point lead had very quickly shrunk to three as the final ¼ of the match approached. To those watching it felt like a very nervy last 15 minutes but in reality the Canford boys controlled field position and territory very well making Taunton attack from deep. One last attack was repelled and Seb Rowland kicked the ball out for a well-deserved 22-19 victory.

Both teams shook hands knowing they had been in a very close encounter which could have gone either way, but it will be Canford who will be represented in the National quarter finals in February. Well done to the boys and Mr Bibby a fantastic achievement for the Canford rugby programme.

Canford 1st XV vs Sherborne W 28-5

Canford faced Sherborne in their penultimate match of the 2022 season. A win away at our strongest close rival would put a nice shine on an up and down season. Wins against Sherborne for Canfordians are quite a rare thing in rugby and 1st XV wins away even rarer, but with Sherborne having a mixed season of their own, would this be a game to savour?

The match started at a frenetic pace, with a long ball in play period from the kickoff before a stoppage arrived. Both sides showed their intent to play with ball in hand and kick only when pressed hard enough by the defence. The Canford scrum continued at the level it has been all year and although the Sherborne pack resisted they were already beginning to creak under the pressure from the Canford 8.

Both sides enjoyed early spells with the ball but, bit by bit Canford were beginning to make gains in territory and pin Sherborne back into their own half, content to play their way out of trouble Sherborne tried to move the ball to the wing but found the waiting arms of Oscar Feingold who was a grateful recipient and duly scampered to dot down for the game’s opening score under the towering Sherborne posts, he duly converted. From the kickoff our opponents rallied and managed to string some possession together in the Canford half, but every time they got close to the line the attack was stoutly repelled by cohesive Canford defenders Felix Synott Ed Schuster-Bruce and Tom Kiff all marshalling their opposite numbers well. When Sherborne tried to exert some pressure at lineouts the Canfordian pressure told through Sam Martin and Mark Kosgei, time after time working well with their lifters they thwarted any possibility of Sherborne gaining a foothold in the match.

The scrum was adding its weight to the cause and were now pushing the Sherborne front row around at will, giving our back row through George Burnell a great opportunity to carry and get at the opposition fly half. With the maul working from lineouts Canford were now giving Sherborne no respite in the match. Again, this pressure told with Oscar the beneficiary, charging down his opposite number, the bounce favouring the vice captain and he successfully added to his afternoons tally, once again he was able to convert from in front of the sticks and double the lead.

With the home crowd now silent Canford took total control of the match, extending the lead in the 2nd half to put things beyond any doubt, both through lineout mauls with Sam and Finn Janaway dotting down. Both scores came following excellent kick chase pressure from our backline as well as an outstanding 50/22 from Oscar, he was also having a fine day from the tee to match his afternoon with ball in hand. Sherborne did manage a very late consolation but the day and the spoils were all Canford’s. This was without doubt the most complete performance of the season so far it was satisfying to watch the boys dominate the game right from the start and control proceedings until the final whistle.

2nd XV

Score: L 13-34

Tries: Jamie Elviss (2)

Penalty: Isaac Gill

POTM: Jamie Elviss

Special Mentions: Henry Stear, Hayden Weedall, Ivor Ritson, Samuel Symes

Canford won the middle 50 minutes of this game 13-10. Unfortunately, they lost the first 5 and last 5 minutes 24-0! Starting well away to Sherborne is always important, but unfortunately a try from the first play (brilliantly running out of their 22 from the kick off) and then another a few minutes later put us behind the 8 ball at 10-0 down. Canford fought their way back into the game with an Isaac Gill penalty and a Jamie Elviss try after good runs from Samuel Symes and Ivor Ritson. Sherborne scored two more to make the half time score 20-8, however Canford struck first in an attritional 2nd half, with POTM Jamie Elviss crashing over again from close range, capping another remarkable performance from the skipper. The lads were digging in deep, none more than Hayden Weedall who played most of the second half with a sore shoulder. With the deficit only 7 points Canford were still in it, but Sherborne’s superior fire power told in the end with 2 well worked tries running through tired Canford defenders


The U16s faced another strong outfit in Sherborne this weekend with the added excitement of playing on Higher Park for the first time this season. Unfortunately, it was not a positive outcome for the boys. A 31-0 defeat was the ultimate result, however this resounding score line really didn’t reflect the efforts of the Canford contingent. It was a gutsy and determined effort from the first whistle and, although the score line doesn’t suggest this, Canford made Sherborne work for each and every point. Beaten by a better team on the day but all credit must be given to the heart and grit showed by numbers 1-18 on the day. The focus now shifts to the last game of the season at home to an unfamiliar Gordon’s side. The U16s are certainly looking to end the season on a high with a performance that reflects the superb results seen against Bryanston and Bishop’s Wordsworth earlier this season.



A hard fought game of rugby against Sherborne for the U15As seeing them come out on top with a

15 – 5 win. A strong well organised Sherborne side gave us a real challenge, ensuring we had to defend and tackle for the duration of the game. Sherborne started strong and we found ourselves defending our line as they attacked with determination, but as we have shown all season Canford defend their line with tenacity. Eventually we forced the mistake and were able to clear our line. Canford then had a long period of possession and ground out a good try following a maul then picking from the ruck to score.

We then soaked up some more pressure from Sherborne before we were able to score again before half time. 10-0 half time Sherborne came out hard in the second half and our mistakes allowed them to apply pressure to our line giving them a try 10-5. Canford then controlled the rest of the game and we were able to convert the pressure into another 5 point score. As it has been all season it is difficult to pick a player of the match but mentions go to both Ben’s and Seb. A great team performance from the boys who must have been very tired after Thursday’s Taunton game. Great to see Raffi back on a rugby pitch. A special thank you to Mr Diprose for an excellent performance in the middle.



Whilst the U15Bs didn’t win the last match of the season, it was clear that their rugby has come a long way. Our try scorer was Raffi O, who was completing his phased return from injury. There were two further moments that are worthy of words in the final report. Firstly, in the final five minutes of the game, watching the boys organise trailers for the forwards to try and score one final try of the season. Secondly, seeing Hector B giving up his A team call up (following an injury for them) because he didn’t want to leave the mighty Bs and because he wanted to give Wilf L a turn. True teamwork and sportsmanship. The boys tackled, rucked and ran well with the ball. Two injuries for us meant that our scrum lost some of its power but the boys didn’t let this stop them from competing to the very end. Sherborne proved to be a little more dominant at turning over the ball. The final score line perhaps didn’t accurately reflect the even competition on the pitch. Players of the match were James L for his relentless tackling (Sherborne clearly saw him as a real threat) and Kaan O for his fearless running with ball in hand. A last mention goes to Seb D for his progress at scrum half – he is now a truly ‘bugging’ 9 – great pressure and tackling throughout.

Well done boys. I look forward to hearing how you get on next year in the U16s.


The U14As suffered a 34-19 defeat in their final game of the season away at Sherborne in a performance which showed moments of brilliance. The game started with Sherborne camped on the Canford try line but Canford’s defence held strong and a score against the run of play soon followed as Phoenix Wilson intercepted the ball 10 meters from his own line and went the distance dotting down under the posts. Unfortunately, Sherborne scored three tries before the half to take a 19-7 lead into the break. Canford started the second half well, showing great determination to get themselves back into the game. Kit was denied by an excellent try saving tackle by the Sherborne full back, however Kit would get his redemption moments later placing down with an 8 pick and go. Sherborne continued to extend their lead but the boys scored what was without doubt, their best try of the season as their last try of the season. Canford had the ball in a ruck on the wing and played two powerful pods after consecutive rucks before a few backs surged around the corner to create an overload, the ball was played to Phoenix who broke the line, stepped the fall back and scored under posts. The try showed just how far this team has come in the past few months and they have a lot of potential. Their ceiling as a group is sky high and hopefully they can reach it over the coming years.


WHAT A GAME - and a fitting conclusion to a most encouraging term for the U14B squad; a match decided by the last play in an 11 try thriller!

The early portents were not quite so representative of what was to unfold, as Sherborne raced to a two try lead - the scoreboard accurately reflecting their initial dominance. In fact it was only some first class scrambling defence from Will Mackenzie and Gil Stalker that kept the scoreline respectable in these early exchanges. Eventually, the Canford ‘penny dropped’ that they were not still fully ‘air-podded-up’ on the coach, and slowly but surely the blue and white juggernaut rumbled into gear with their now ferocious rucking game to the fore. Gradually, the forwards began to assume the upper hand with the rumbustious trio of Charlie Tyndall, Toby Flegg and Will Trotter ubiquitous throughout. Indeed, the excellent Tyndall, in the unfamiliar role of No.8, made notable incursions into the home side’s stretched defence each time he carried, several of which led directly to Canford tries; three unanswered scores left it 19-12 in Canford’s favour at the half - it was only through profligate handling that the gap wasn’t even wider.

Felix Inglis’ unscheduled departure to the A team fixture at half time created some untimely disruption, not least his prodigious kicking, both from tee and out of hand. Indeed, his influential game management was also sorely missed. Nevertheless, the ever willing Joshua Sinclair fitted seamlessly into the scum half berth with Teddy McSheehy’s fine rugby brain being used to good effect at 10. This new half back combination kept the team on the front foot with lively runners Jakov Vorobyev and Dominic O’Brien benefitting from their efficient distribution. The second half proved a riveting denouement to the competitive term, with Sherborne’s last ditch try in the corner taking the eventual spoils; this was a tremendously competitive fixture, played in a wonderful spirit throughout and enjoyed by the not inconsiderable touch line crowd.


On a rather chilly December afternoon, the mighty 14Cs headed off to Sherborne for their final fixture of the season. After a short warm-up captain Monty Palmer elected to play into the biting wind and, much to Mr Jones' surprise, we quickly began to impose themselves on the home team. Excellent tackling from Felix De Monteney, Peter Tidd and Jack Gao Strong prevented Sherborne getting into a rhythm, whilst direct running from our forwards disrupted their defence and created gaps for our increasingly confident back-line. This enabled Canford to reach half-time with a 10-0 lead thanks to a brace of tries from Jake Pearce.

The change of ends brought a change of fortunes. Sherborne bolstered their team with some pacy runners and ran in 4 unanswered tries to lead by 12 points. Canford finally rallied: Jake scored a further try and George Chetwood's conversion narrowed the margin to just 5 points. This renewed our confidence and commitment but, despite spending the final 5 minutes of the game camped in Sherborne's 22, our hosts courageous defence prevented us crossing the line. It was nonetheless a fantastic end to the season and, when the boys finally defrosted, I am sure they were as proud of their efforts as I was.


Last week there was a block fixture versus Bryanston, as well as the 1st team on their road trip to Clifton College for their penultimate league game.

1st XI

On Tuesday the 1st XI travelled to Clifton for a proper winter wonderland in the West Country. We arrived to cold temperatures, thick fog and low visibility, with the certainty of the game being played in question. However, we went ahead, on the proviso that we may need to abandon if visibility got worse. We were slow to get going and found ourselves 2-0 down at half time – a mixture of the long bus journey, very brief warm up and talented opposition. However, we grew into the game and were creating chances. We halved the deficit through a deflected Georgie Boon effort, before some questionable umpiring and counter attacking from the opposition contributed to a 4-1 lead for Clifton. Unperturbed, we dug deep, and the final 25 minutes saw us press higher, work harder and ask many more questions of the opposition with some direct running, excellent 1 v 1 elimination and better decision making. Lulu Thompson; a creative threat throughout, made it 4-2, before Maya Doubleday finished well after a slick short corner routine, to reduce the arrears to 4-3. We kept probing for an equaliser, with the opposition dropping back to a half court and resorting to a long ball clearance game, but we were unable to draw level in a game that could have gone our way.

On Saturday v Bryanston, we looked to get on the front foot early in the game. We won 6 short corners in the first half, but were not clinical, especially as their talented GK was in inspired form to deny us on numerous occasions, when we should have shown more composure. In fact, Bryanston scored on the break, against the run of play, to lead 1-0 at the break. The team got the hairdryer treatment at half time, and were reminded of our targets of having high intensity off the ball and quality in possession. Charlie Whitmore, outstanding for the whole game, equalised with a well placed shot, before Lulu Thompson and Millie Davey scored in quick succession for a 3-1 lead. Other chances came and went, though we were using the ball much more effectively. Three more goals materialised in the final 10 minutes; Thompson grabbing her second, Poppy White smashing in a reverse stick effort with great precision, and Tara King finishing off a sublime team move with a close range effort, to secure a 6-1 victory and illustrate our dominance. (MDC)

2nd XI


A cold, dark away fixture at our rivals Bryanston in the late slot. We started off very slow, understandably, given the conditions. Double turnover after double turnover, neither team wanted the ball. Eventually we started to find out feet and started playing properly. Their goal keeper was amazing and denied every shot we threw at her. It was 0-0 at half time, but with some tactical changes from the coach, some playing tips from Isla Knatchbull, some positioning from Jorgia Holtby, and of course motivation from Hattie Wade… we were off. We started the half incredibly well and went 1-0 up within 2 mins due to a Megan Mowbray deflection. We just kept the ball and kept going forward. This allowed goals to be scored by Maddie Nickell on the break, Grace Cecil-Wright on a PC variation, and Anouska Loveridge with a back post tap in. A questionable short corner was given by my counterpart Mr Hooker, which lead to an absolute rocket shot from Bryanston, ending our hopes of a clean sheet. We continued our season with a 4-1 win; looking forward to the last one of the season against Bradfield. Player of the match - Megan Mowbray. (AGF/RHJH)

3rd XI


A cold, damp Saturday afternoon at Bryanston may not come top of the destinations wish-list, but the girls of the 3rd XI decided to make the most of it. This was our first really comprehensive display of the season with some outstanding play leading to high quality goals. Against a feisty opposition we were quicker to the ball, more determined in the tackle and we passed with greater precision than in the past. Fran Hensher once again dominated the midfield with real vision, while up front the tireless running of Lucy Rodgerson and the pin point accuracy of Evelyn Young and Jemima Carrell saw us 2-0 up at half time and scoring another impressive three in the second half. Amy Frampton looked composed on her return to the team and as ever Sarah Norris remained our defensive rock. Well done to everyone on this impressive team performance, which leaves us having won every match against opposing 3rd XIs. Player of the match – Evelyn Young: outstanding goal scoring (better than Messi). (RMBS)

4th XI


Goals from Bella Collier, Freya Brash and Suzie Cribb

The 4th team continue their fantastic run of wins with another solid performance against a local rival. It wasn’t our best performance and the cold weather did not help. Thankfully the Vice Captain, playing her final match for the school managed to break the deadlock with a fantastic hit just before half time. Bella Collier scored the second from another well taken hit and Susie Cribb stole her XX goal of the season with a fantastic defection at the right post. (CHJ)

5th XI


Hannah Jeffery x2

Freya Barrington x4

Kitty Wright x2

This was a one sided affair, but credit goes to both teams for playing in the right spirit. Bryanston never gave up and neither did Canford, with goals coming at regular intervals. Great to see all 3 forwards cashing in. Daisy Lewis and Lucy Stephenson deserve players of the week for playing in both matches this week. My thanks also go to Holly Janaway and Freya Brash, the Captain and Vice-Captain of the 4th team. They’ve had to bear with my coaching for 3 consecutive years and have been the heartbeat of this squad during this time. I wish them well for the future and hope that they have the opportunity to play with wonderful game again soon, perhaps for a social team at university. (CHJ)



After a good win before exeat the team looked to build on the attacking play against Bryanston. The opposition started well and for the first 10 minutes the game was in the balance. The Canford defence stayed strong and regained the ball every time they were called upon. Canford then started to move the ball around the away side and created lots of chances before half time. During a short corner before the break Georgia Kenny deflected the ball into the goal with precision. At half time the team decided to lift their overall game and increase the ball pace and movement off the ball. After the talk, the defence transferred and cut out passes well to get the team wide and up the pitch. Penny Dirou scored Canford’s second goal with a push from the top of the D that trickled over the line. Tess Byng then added the third goal, with a deflection on the back post (of course). Georgia Kenny then added her second and the home teams fourth goal from a 1 v 1 opportunity. The final score 4-0 to Canford and a professional win by the side. Player of the match – Penny Dirou (BBD)



Despite the score (1-1) this is the best hockey I have seen the side play. With a squad of 14, all the players were able to hold their own when on pitch and there was no weak link evident at all. Ball pace (something they have heard shouted continuously from the side) was excellent, as was the transfer of the ball out of congestion, into new channels of play. In the first half, a beautiful passage of play down the right hand side of the pitch, connected with an excellent cross then found a killing finish from Ella M. The crowd and the coach went whoop! Half time 1-0 to Canford. Bryanston were clearly not happy (nor their coaches) having had many successes this term. They fought back hard and with an early take, some confusion in our ranks and a good wind behind them, equalised. 1-1 was how it remained even though our tenacious winning of the ball was clearly frustrating the opposition. A good game of hockey. (CDB)



Went 2-0 down into half time, and after the break, went in focusing on working the ball between each other. This brought success as Zion scored a wonderful goal. Unfortunately the Bryanston team were stronger and the game finished 4-1 to the visitors. (EJW)



After a tough outing last week at the West of England Championships we were looking forward to our second meeting of the term with Bryanston. The score was a good reflection of our opposition’s determination to do better than they had done last month and although we won, they probably were happier with their performance than we were with ours. Individually we all had good moments and there was no doubting the team’s efforts, but at this stage in the season we should be stringing together more of those great phases of play that led to our two goals. I am sure two good training sessions next week will see us firing on all eight cylinders as we head into our final match of the season. (NRB)


The U14Bs were very excited to play at home and it was lovely that parents were there in support, even in the freezing conditions. Within the first five minutes, Canford placed pressure on the Bryanston defence and on entering the ‘D’ they headed straight for goal. Julide Kose slotted the ball in the back of the net and the team all of a sudden had their heads up and were keen to get their names on the score sheet. Aoife Tarpey was the next to score and managed to total two goals. Cata Gata worked exceptionally hard throughout the match gaining a hat-trick, Lizzie Hornung rebounded the ball in off a lovely cross, Emily Hall gained two goals and Alice Myres finished the match with passing the ball through the goal keeper’s legs. A fabulous team performance. Cata Gata and Lizzie Hornung were both voted by the Bryanston team as Canford’s Players Player. Matilda Tweedie deserves a mention for her work rate, she certainly impressed and contributed to setting up many of the goals and deserves the Player of the Match. (NXW)



This week the girls played Bryanston. They had been practising using the whole pitch in training. They took everything they had learnt during training, working together to move the ball down to their shooting. They had their first chance at a short corner this term. Having several shots on target however, the first half ended with the score at 0-0. After a good half time chat, they went back out ready to have another good half. They went out fighting and managed to get 2 goals in the second half, scored by Amber and Annie. Defence worked hard to making good clearances. Canford won the game with the final score staying at 2-0.

Player of the match was Annie Cai. (VOG/REH)

This week sees the 1st team in action in their final league match v Marlborough College, before the final block fixture of the season against Bradfield College.


A re-match against Wellington was a great opportunity to put everything we have learnt this term into practice. We were slow of the blocks and Wellington play some slick netball. Unfortunately, it took us until the 4th quarter to really step up our game. In this quarter you saw some fantastic work and play from Bella Rose who was relentless in defence and attack, she made countless turnovers. Daisy Askew managed and created space in the circle fantastically, allowing for slick netball to be played and the Wellington defence couldn’t get a look in. Looking ahead and we are excited for the netball term to kick start after Christmas.

As the final match of the season, it was wonderful to see the team at their finest on the court and seeing how much all of them have progressed throughout the term. Liv and Elodie worked extremely well together in the goal third proving themselves to be a formidable match to the Wellington Defence. Clemence adapted extremely well with an ever-moving centre player due to subs from the other team and worked well to move the ball down the court. Tiegan showed prowess in the defensive circle in her ability to man-on mark and move the ball effectively into the centre third. Hettie and Hattie worked well defensively, putting pressure on the Wellington attack and getting some excellent interceptions between them. It has been wonderful to see the Team bond so well together and, despite the loss, they had a lot of fun together and individually showed huge improvement in their fitness and skill on the court. Well done to you all!

Running / Cross Country

This week runners enjoyed, what has been a rarity this term, an actual running race! It was mighty cold last Thursday at Ferndown Upper School and Canford was able to put together a decent team despite the ‘Canford Cold’ doing its best to side line some of our best athletes. Conditions consisted of wet muddy grass and heathland, low winter sun, foggy freezing conditions and pupils had a bit of a wait as the Year 5 to Year 9 races went underway. It was also decided at the last minute that the Y10-13 boys and girls would run together, and as all the runners lined up on the start line in vests, t-shirts and shorts, a timing issue meant they had to wait for a good 5 minutes until the gun finally went off. One pupil from PGS did his best Usain Bolt impression and led the first half a lap of three. Tom C managed to run his own race and slowly wound in the leader and took the lead of the race from the beginning of the second lap, with Sam W, Reza and Alex F hot on his heels. Elliot and Tito both put in strong performances and Tito hadn’t realised it was such a short race and could have gone even faster! In the Girls race, Abi led Charlotte, making her Canford race debut, and Ellie as they made their way around the course. Abi managed to hold on by a hair in a sprint finish to the line to take 5th and Charlotte and Ellie both made their way into the top 20. Meanwhile, the boys finished their last laps and Tom C took 2nd by just a few strides, closely followed in by Sam in 3rd. Reza and Alex made it 5th and 6th in the event which meant that Canford took the win in the Y10-13 boys category. A brilliant result and a nice way to round off the term. Do watch out for these stars as they glide around the Canford Park during the House Cross Country competition.

Football v Clayesmore, Blandford and Taunton

Canford v Clayesmore


Goals: Wittram, Martin

Canford hosted Clayesmore in their penultimate league game of the term. Having lost 3-1 in the reverse fixture, the boys felt extra motivated to get the result. Clayesmore had the majority of the ball in the early exchanges, prompting a change of formation for Canford and a much higher press. Wittram saw a sweetly struck shot a whisker away from the net. Followed quickly by Branston hitting the bar, after he won the ball high up the pitch. The boys came in at half time 0-0, but with lots of positivity for the second half.

The boys came out much stronger in the second half, dominating the ball and really putting the pressure on. Ransom-Esposti was crucial in retaining the ball and maintaining pressure on the Clayesmore defence. The first goal came from Wittram pressing the keeper, blocking his clearance and eventually tapping the ball home into an empty net. Martin added to this, tapping into an empty net after a great save from the Clayesmore GK. A great game for the boys, player of the match had to be Ransom-Esposti for his assured performance in midfield.

Canford v Blandford School


Goals: Kwan, Wittram

The boys travelled to Blandford School on Thursday in a game that was sure to be a real test. Despite dominating the ball in the early exchanges, Blandford were quick on the break. A direct pass was quickly dispatched to give Blandford the lead. Their lead was then doubled soon after from a free kick. The boys responded by lifting their game, they made chance after chance but unfortunately couldn’t finish. Craigen, Wittram and Kwan’s press from the front was brilliant and was causing Blandford all sorts of problems. Despite all our chances, we came in at half time 2-0 down.

In the second half, Canford continued to dominate the ball, but for a long period were just unable to find the final pass to get a goal. With the fog not clearing up, the boys conceded another from a corner, which nobody seems to know what happened. At 3-0 it would’ve been easy to give up, but the boys stuck to their principles and played some lovely football. Two goals in quick succession from Kwan and Wittram brought the game back to 3-2. The boys pressed for an equalizer and created some more chances, but unfortunately were unable to get the 3rd.

This game, was probably one of the best games that I have seen Canford play this term. We got the ball down, played in combinations, and played our way out of trouble time and time again. Players of the match were Fin Craigen and Jack Martin.

Canford v Taunton


Goals: Martin, og

Another away day for the boys on Saturday, this time to Taunton. On a high from the performances in the previous two fixtures, the boys started well and dominated the ball. Despite the Taunton pitch, the boys kept trying to play the Canford way, but were just missing that final ball to break the deadlock. Again, 0-0 at half time, but that didn’t concern the boys as they’ve now started to call themselves Second Half FC.

True to their name, the boys scored a brilliant goal, Craigen let the ball run through his legs, Wittram powered the ball across the box and there was Mr Open Goal himself to get his second of the week. Taunton then equalised from an own goal from a corner. Before quickly getting a penalty to make it 2-1. Despite not having a shot in open play, Taunton were in the lead. The boys piled the pressure on and went all out attack, and with another ball to the back post, Taunton put the ball into their own net. It was all Canford, and with the last kick of the game the boys thought they’d won it. Kwan knocked the ball home, but after giving the goal, it was later chalked off for offside. A disappointing end to an otherwise great performance. This week, as a whole, showed the development of the lads as a team. Player of the match went to Tyndale Kwan.

Acorns v Taunton


Another day, another Acorns masterclass. Six of the best goals ever seen and limiting Taunton to 1 shot on goal in reply, this was one of the best performances in the Acorns season. The game kicked off and the Acorns were on top, knocking the ball around nicely despite the pitch being small and very muddy. James Balasubramaniam showed great awareness to set Alex Geng off down the left with a well-taken throw in, before Geng skipped past a couple of defenders and fizzed a ball into the corridor of uncertainty. It was the type of ball that gives defenders nightmares – hard, low and difficult to deal with – and Tom Norman made absolutely no mistake by finishing it with aplomb. 1-0 Acorns. Throughout the rest of the half the Acorns dominated, creating many chances including an incredible move down the right hand side that started right from a short goal kick, but unfortunately could not find a second. HT 1-0 Acorns

Following an inspiring team talk from Madame Saurel, the Acorns re-entered the pitch with one aim: Score goals. And score goals they did, as from a well taken Alex Geng corner Ben Fowle scored an outrageous scorpion kick to double the Acorns lead. This goal capped off a truly exceptional performance from the Centre-Back, as he was imperious at the back whilst showing incredible footwork and aerial threat in the attacking half of the pitch as well. A 3rd goal shortly followed, as Thomas Sparkhall, making his Acorns debut, intercepted the ball on the left before driving down the byline, beating at least two challenges in the process. Instead of looking for the safe option of a backwards pass, he had the audacity to take on the two men staring him down, whipping out some step overs before finishing with power and finesse, high at the near post. Instead of letting complacency seep into their ranks, the Acorns kept pushing for more goals. Kerry Gunu picked up the ball in the middle of the park, before using his speed, agility and ball control to drive straight through the defence, before slotting it neatly into the bottom left corner to make it 4-0. It didn’t stop there, a lovely move down the left saw Bala and Geng combine, before Geng played a beautifully weighted through ball to unleash Thomas Sparkhall again. Sparky used his pace to get away from the defence, before showing great composure to take a couple of touches before placing the ball past the keeper, securing himself a brace. Kerry also added a second, making it 6-0 after intercepting a goal kick, bringing the ball into the left hand side of the penalty area, before checking back onto his right foot and finishing exquisitely into the bottom right corner.

It’s hard to single out a Man of the Match from this game, as there were a number of strong performances. Ben Fowle as previously mentioned was stellar in both attack and defense, and Alex Geng was uncontainable down the left hand side – racking up three assists as a result of his ability to consistently beat his man and deliver a quality ball into the box. It’s very hard to not give the award to Kerry, who played exceptionally for his brace, and also Guy Marton for putting in a near-faultless midfield performance. However, the Man of the Match has to go to the debutant; Sparky. As well as scoring 2 goals, he led the press alongside the well-renowned pressing king Tom Norman exceptionally, meaning the Acorns were able to turn over the ball with ease. He glided past players when he had the ball at his feet, and it was his pace and control that allowed him to create number our chances for both himself and his teammates. Overall a sumptuous performance from both him, but also the whole team, who once again stuck together brilliantly to achieve an incredible result

Real Tennis v The Oratory


Albert Blackburn beat Ethan: 6/2
Will Fountain lost to Joseph: 3/6
Louis Potts lost to Ollie: 2/6
Blackburn/Potts beat Ollie/Ethan: 6/3
Fountain/Potts lost to Ollie/Joseph: 2/6
Blackburn/Fountain beat Ethan/Joseph: 6/5

Final Result: Canford 3 - Oratory 3

The boys put in a superb performance at a tough (bouncy!) away court over at the Oratory School. Both Louis and Will struggled to adjust to the court quickly in their opening singles matches, but came back strongly in the doubles with a win apiece. Albert has to go down as player of the day, a really solid performance across the afternoon and the only player to finish the day undefeated!


Gabriel Davey lost to Nathan: 2/6
Tom Chissell lost to Archie: 1/6
Tom Chissell lost to Max: 3/6
Davey/Chissell lost to Nathan/Archie: 3/6
Davey/Chissell lost to Archie/Max: 5/6

Final result: Canford 0 - Oratory 5

It was a long trek over to the Oratory School on Sunday morning but the boys put in a fantastic effort. We were one player short in the end, but I think Tom and Gabriel appreciated the extra tennis (as well as some bonus pickle ball!). It was a slow start from both in the singles as they got used to the bouncy and slippery court - Tom had the toughest battle with their third pair and a point here or there could have turned the tide in his favour. They both came out fighting in the doubles and deserved at least one of the rubbers, but it wasn't to be. Some great tennis on display and lots to work on in the new year.

Coming up this week…

  • Squash match against away at Sherborne on Thursday
  • Real Tennis National League match for Professional James Ryan and Vaughan Hamilton – Saturday 10th December from 4.30pm. All pupils welcome!

View all the latest sports photos

https://media.canford.com (password required – pupils and staff use school logins, for parents login details can be found in the Parent Portal in the Photos & Media section)

Canford Sports Department – Team of the Week

See the photos / attachments for the new team of the week. Across all the sports and year groups those who made the team were nominated by their Heads of Sport for standing out in terms of their attitude, commitment and performance.

This sports report is published weekly and is available via the Twitter feed and also on the dedicated sports portal www.canfordsports.com.

Twitter @CanfordSport Instagram @canford_sport_and_wellbeing